Yuck..car sickness~

We went for a short drive,just here on this road today.Just Jasper & I,he did well.He sat right on a blanket in the front seat with his seat harness.

We'll just keep things short & upbeat trips,hopefully he will in time get past this.He doesn't show signs of car sickness,No panting,drooling.I do think its just him being nervous.

When he got sick the other day,we were nearly home,when he started heaving.I think the next time we go,I'll load up Trapp also,maybe having Trapp there will distract him.
 
Only if it's a mental/stress reaction.

As someone who suffers from pretty bad motion sickness, I can say that no amount of deconditioning helps my brain and my eyes and my ears all work together. I am at the point where nothing but the Scopolamine patch works. I can't ride in the back of any vehicle; no trains, no planes, no boats without my patch. And I LOVE to fly! It's so not fair.

My mother keeps telling me it will subside, but I will be 30 in May, and it hasn't yet. :(

but do you know it is not conditioning...?
it probably started when you were a toddler and started throwing up on children swing set after you ate too much sweets... unknowingly it went from there and I tell you sometimes you need a hypnosis to figure those things out and " reset" your brain, just "pep talk" is not going to do it.... sure there are people with vestibular apparatus problems, tough to travel if if you are one of them...
anyway, thankfully with dogs it is not as complicated as with humans, deconditioning works wonders on majority of issues, most of the dogs are excellent riders.
 
start with car in the driveway... not moving... feed him his favorite food, meals, put the crate in the car with his chewy.... whatever makes him comfortable, spend some time with him playing inside...
then very short trips etc.... as everything else it is matter of deconditioning....

I disagree
It may just be that Jasper gets motion sickness... IF that is the case the above doesn't harm him, but it won't help much.
Toffee has true motion sickness, he can't help it, he doesn't mind cars at all, loves getting into them, but if you take too many turns (city driving) all of a sudden he gets green, and can't help himself, he drools, often pants a little then after he pukes (sometimes I don't even notice, it's that fast) he is like, ok, anyhow... sorry about that, where we going?!?
I am just used to it, I try to ensure that the car takes the curves easy, have the window a little open, so he won't lay down, etc, etc.. When he is coming home from long run in the park, etc it is worse, because he relaxes and goes to sleep and as soon as his head goes down.. he's like oh shugah, I am sick to my tummy... lol

I always have towels and blankets in cars, he doesn't get fed until after trip is over... oh good thing I do not have a car, lol
But friends do etc :cry:

If I go on longer trips there is a great medication that does NOT make him drowsy that I give him.
 
Last edited:
I disagree
It may just be that Jasper gets motion sickness... IF that is the case the above doesn't harm him, but it won't help much.
Toffee has true motion sickness, he can't help it, he doesn't mind cars at all, loves getting into them, but if you take too many turns (city driving) all of a sudden he gets green, and can't help himself, he drools, often pants a little then after he pukes (sometimes I don't even notice, it's that fast) he is like, ok, anyhow... sorry about that, where we going?!?
I am just used to it, I try to ensure that the car takes the curves easy, have the window a little open, so he won't lay down, etc, etc.. When he is coming home from long run in the park, etc it is worse, because he relaxes and goes to sleep and as soon as his head goes down.. he's like oh shugah, I am sick to my tummy... lol

I always have towels and blankets in cars, he doesn't get fed until after trip is over... oh good thing I do not have a car, lol
But friends do etc :cry:

If I go on longer trips there is a great medication that does NOT make him drowsy that I give him.

I agree with you,they just can't help it.I just think that we will hopefully get past this.We are making a daily effort to go a little drive every day with him.He did well today.I did bring along his fleece blanket,and spoke softly to him.Lots of priase,and kept things upbeat.I did not face him towards the window,I buckled him in so he was looking at me.And I turned the AC on low.

He's not afraid of the truck in the least,but it is like you say,the turning,bumps,curves.This is all a new thing for us,the car sickness,we have never encountered this before. I'm hoping he gets past this.
 
Bailey used to be so bad in the car. She got over it. The dog who would back up as soon as she saw the car and threw up on every trip, now gets in the car herself, jumps on the seat, lays down and enjoys the ride. I don't even have to give her a ginger snap anymore. Sometimes I give her a frozen kong. I think that helped too. I think she now looks forward to her treat and the soft blanket.

I'm glad he was good on your short trip. I hope he continues to do well in the car.
 
Deska gets true motion sickness too, so no amount of practising trips will get him over it. He actually goes in the car every day. I give him meds for longer trips and keep a towel and spare car seat cover in the car. What med do you use for Toffee - atm I use phenergan (the human antihistamine) as its easy and on long trips it doesnt matter if he sleeps, but it is a pain for trips to flyball comps.
 
Bella gets car sick sometimes also..I think its a little bit of nerves or at least it was at first because she would have diarhea on the way home from kindergarten, so it was nerves or too many treats. Then we graduated to throwing up, she was crated all those times. It seems at this point that if she can see out she does ok and trying to plan outings when she has not just eaten. She has only thrown up once outside of create and she had just eaten and i just ran around the corner to get gas. very short trip. So these ginger snaps? we are talking about the human kind right? Im a virgo so i just gotta make sure don't ya know..LOL

Mary and Bella
 
Yayyy a day with out car sickness!!

Well we did it! A day of a hopefully new beginning with Jasper. We did give a half a ginger snap about half hour before we went to the festival today.We did not take Trapp today,as just in case,we had an episode,it would be easiar to concentrate just on Jasper today. Trapp went yesterday.

The only thing I did do differant this time,was shield his view to the front window.I had his favorite blanket and used that to shield his view.Then the cookie besides,but he made it there & home with no events.

So the festival was of course a whole scenario of noises,venders,wind blowing,and even a balloon that popped,and he did great.Brian took some pictures.The one of me in front of a big water fountain,Brian wasn't to sure if he would be scared,but he didn't even flinch.

The littel girl in the picture,was this little one I sopke of some time ago,that was upset with me,because we kept his name Jasper. I guess she figured at one time,there should only be one dog named Jasper.He aunt's have a labradoodle,and his name is Jasper. But it was love at first sight.She did quite a bit of puppy sitting while Brian & I shopped at the indoor craft show.
Enjoy~
 
Last edited:
Great pictures. jasper is getting so big. I'm glad he had his first uneventful car trip. i hope he continues to feel well in the car
 
Back
Top