Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

2021 ASSA Obedience

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Calliesmom, May 4, 2021.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Awesome job with both dogs Calliesmom! I loved Destin’s recall leap...so cute, reminds me of Piper’s little leap he does from the front. Jocu did pretty good aside from the no sits. Too bad on the sit with Destin...I recall competing with Piper in novice in a Sheltie Specialty trial and it was just Piper and one other Sheltie in the stays. Doing the sit stays he was staring down the other dog...I was so nervous he’d break, ended up being the other dog breaking the sit stay lol...Piper intimidated him:ROFLMAO:.

Calliesmom likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I'm not sure what the rules are in Australia.
    we were competing in Beginner Novice- it's an optional titling class by the AKC.
    the signs are rally signs- it's an abbreviated heeling pattern so the judge doesn't have to tell you what to do. in no particular order: left turn, right turn, about turn, fast, normal, slow, normal and it always ends with the sit sign.
    for the Figure 8, you go through 3 times and you sit in the middle and finish with a sit.
    Heel on leash and Figure 8 on leash are also in regular Novice but you also do the same heeling pattern off leash.
    BN has a sit for exam on leash, Novice has a stand for exam - off leash.
    BN has a sit stay while you walk around the ring, Novice has on leash group stays- it's now 1 min sit and 1 min down.
    Both have a recall but it's a shorter distance in BN and it's supposed to be an actual front and finish in Novice. they just have to sit close enough for you to touch them in BN.
    Our judge specifically told us that we could give a second command for the recall - that it would just be a deduction vs failure to qualify. I did call Jocu a second time as he slowed down and was going to do a down before he got to me so then he came closer and sat so we managed to qualify.
    You can use verbals or hand signals- certain times/places/classes you can use both and other times, only one or the other.

Piper's mom and Caro like this.