3 day trial this weekend

I wanted to post something positive. Since I was trying to give Ashley a cheering up, it made me remember that I need to think of the positives too. Because like her, I sometimes feel like not running standard, or anything at all!

I said in her post, that Koji was the king of refusals. Well, his Jumpers run was clean and awesome (minus that missed weave pole). No refusals, he ran wonderfully, and I am loving those "tandem turns" (thanks for the terminology Ashley). They're so much easier to do at certain times than RC's or even FC's. Especially for a dog w/o distance.

On his Standard run, he did refuse the tunnel, but let's be real, by that point, he was barking at me, not paying attention, I had pulled him in, then sent him somewhere else. We were both at fault.

Here's hoping for better contacts tomorrow (after having given up my contact board, his contacts have gone down fast! I need a new board!) and no refusals!! Forget the Q. Just give me a dog who's paying attention.
 
I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow. Would you say this is normal? At some point, you realize that what was working....isn't always the best way to do things and now you have to either retrain everything, or train more? Or is it just because we didn't train "well" to begin with?

Cheryl, I can 100% tell you that we are feeling the same way. Frustrated, and upset because I feel like we aren't getting better, and I feel like we're just not making as much progress as I'd like to be (especially for as often as we train!)

Starters (and novice) show you that you're coming together as a team, and that your dog has learned the correct obstacle performances.

Open and Advanced really poke holes in your training. And if it's your first dog...there's a ton. I know so many people that have had to go back and retrain because of mistakes (us and contacts, for one).

Don't feel bad. I think it happens to everyone (well, most people, anyways). It just so happens that you get used to Qing on a regular basis, and moving up. When you don't, it feels increasingly frustrating.


I did want to mention a couple things about your standard run (of course,take this with a grain of salt, as usual!)
--Nice job on the tandem turns! I find that they really help to keep dogs like ours moving!
--Koji is in handler focus SO often, that that is the reason for 99% of his mistakes. He pops the weaves because of this. He refuses the tunnel because of this. He doesn't get in the weaves because he isn't looking for them, he's looking directly at you. Part of that is you giving him directions early enough. Even though he's not the fastest (he's not slow, either), he needs information early enough for him to look for it. He's not getting the information, he's slowing down, and looking to you and it's too late.
--You two look at each other VERY often. It's self-rewarding for Koji, and it's a tough cycle to break.
--Something that Stuart is always telling us is that we need to keep moving. You do what I do, and end up just standing around telling Koji what to do, and then waiting for him to do it. That happened to him for the tunnel refusal. He misses your signal (handler focus), and then you just stand there.

But again, as you said, you really are improving. He got his dogwalk contact, he is moving pretty quickly, and his RCs (tandem turns) really looked nice. You just need to get him to work on focusing ahead, and not at you.

Not trying to sound negative, I just feel like I know what you're going through!
 
Cheryl, I know how you are feeling, believe me I do. My last TDAA trial was incredibly stressful and I put a lot of the pressure on myself because I went in intending to come out with titles instead of going in to have fun.

I think you are right in taking a step back and, instead of going after the Open titles, focusing on runs with the goal of no refusals and his focus on the job.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for you and Koji.
 
Cheryl, I can 100% tell you that we are feeling the same way. Frustrated, and upset because I feel like we aren't getting better, and I feel like we're just not making as much progress as I'd like to be (especially for as often as we train!)

This is one reason I'm looking at finding either a new trainer, or someone who can supplement the training. I'm also going to sign up with a local club, because although their training sessions aren't great, we have access to a GREAT facility (albeit far, but I'm willing to go on my non-trialling weekends, let's just hope hubby is, lol)

Starters (and novice) show you that you're coming together as a team, and that your dog has learned the correct obstacle performances.
Open and Advanced really poke holes in your training.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. Poking holes it is. Honestly, our first two Q's in JWW was EASY! Our first few STD runs were EASY! But he didn't Q due to his contacts (which I was changing over, so I figured that was understandable). I guess I keep figuring, if he hits his contacts, we'll Q. So not the case (as with Bentley too, in that one great run, minus that darn tunnel - I so feel your pain).


--Nice job on the tandem turns! I find that they really help to keep dogs like ours moving!

Thanks. Sadly, no one even taught us this and I think it's a great thing to learn, especially for dogs like ours!!! I only learned it by watching the Elite (NADAC) people doing it and I thought, "gawd that would SO be useful" and I tried it a few times. Works great in sometimes harder serps and that's why I tried it. Question is, why didn't we learn it? It's not a "fix" is it? I find it so useful, especially in areas where I know I can't FC and a regular RC just wouldn't work. So weird.

--Koji is in handler focus SO often, that that is the reason for 99% of his mistakes. He pops the weaves because of this. He refuses the tunnel because of this. He doesn't get in the weaves because he isn't looking for them, he's looking directly at you. Part of that is you giving him directions early enough. Even though he's not the fastest (he's not slow, either), he needs information early enough for him to look for it. He's not getting the information, he's slowing down, and looking to you and it's too late

The bit about him looking at me instead of the weaves, I saw that in the video too. I was shaking my head thinking, why are you looking at me!!! LOL. I need to try and get my instructions to him faster. I'm pretty good about it for weaves. Obviously, I missed that one. lol.

--You two look at each other VERY often. It's self-rewarding for Koji, and it's a tough cycle to break.

uh-oh, is this a bad thing? I shouldn't be looking at him. Sheesh. Why doesn't anyone tell me these things? Thoughts on simple things I can do to correct this issue? Well, maybe not simple, but small things I can try for this weekend.

--Something that Stuart is always telling us is that we need to keep moving. You do what I do, and end up just standing around telling Koji what to do, and then waiting for him to do it. That happened to him for the tunnel refusal. He misses your signal (handler focus), and then you just stand there.

Well, in the case of the tunnel. I kinda gave up because I knew he wasn't really focused on the course. He was overly focused on me. Again, like I said, when he breaks his stay, he's in crazy mode. And typically barking and barking at me like I'm just going to slow. Huh. If he had stayed, I wouldn't be behind, now would I? Crazy dog. LOL. But yes, standing around. I have been working on moving forward, esp after watching your Mah vids. Very helpful to me, thanks, btw.

But again, as you said, you really are improving. He got his dogwalk contact, he is moving pretty quickly, and his RCs (tandem turns) really looked nice. You just need to get him to work on focusing ahead, and not at you.

Darn dog just loves me too much. Here's what I'm thinking.........I use food prior to running because I USED to need it to get his attention (this was when he'd run off, oh a year ago). I think I need to stop with that. But, the other problem is, the food also keeps him from barking at other dogs (again, we're still working on his "overly friendly" issue). So, catch-22. Do you think using toys might work? Or should I just go without anything? hmm...maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Why not, what do I have to lose....a Q? LOL. :rolleyes2:

Not trying to sound negative, I just feel like I know what you're going through!

Honestly, any feedback is good, even if it's negative. I totally concur and understand. I'm not making any excuses and I'm sure it's partially me. After taking Sharon up on her advice (of maybe finding some one new), I've found a few instructors who do private sessions and who are known in the agility world (hopefully as trainers, not just great handlers) and like you, may just need some feedback. I just hope that if I try to execute in class, my trainer won't get upset, and if she does, I may have to truly leave that place (although, I love it for everything else, sigh).

Maybe we should trade dogs. Oh wait, Sharon did say she'd take Koji and turn him into a MACH dog. Why do I have a feeling she COULD do that? Maybe with my next dog, I won't have too many of these issues. :winkgrin:
 
Cheryl, I know how you are feeling, believe me I do. My last TDAA trial was incredibly stressful and I put a lot of the pressure on myself because I went in intending to come out with titles instead of going in to have fun.

I think you are right in taking a step back and, instead of going after the Open titles, focusing on runs with the goal of no refusals and his focus on the job.

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for you and Koji.

No pressure, no pressure, no pressure. All fun, all fun, all fun.
I'm trying. I swear I am. Darn those titles...and me wanting them. LOL.
Tomorrow, I have a few things I'm going to try AND I'm just going to have fun and NOT think "what a waste of money this is".

Here's to a better day tomorrow. But first, I'm going to eat my yummy chocolate cupcake.
 
Wow, today was worse. I went in just having fun and now, I'm more concerned than upset. Koji popped out of the weaves around the 4-5th pole. I tried 3 times on each course (so 6 total). Popping out at the same place.

So, either he HATED doing weaves in the dirt (first time on dirt), he's just being a PITA, OR (and I'm hoping not) something is wrong physically. I'm going to let him rest up today and if he's popping out at the same place tomorrow, I guess I'll be looking for a chiropractor for him.

This definitely worries me, mostly because he doesn't pop out of weaves. And when we did back in early Nov, I know it was me. This isn't me this time, this is all him. I'm not sure what is going on. Sigh.

So, minus the weaves, we had some great runs today. I think the lack of food prior to our runs are helping, he actually seems more focused on agility. On the downside, he's still breaking his stays. I really don't know what to do. big sigh. I'm not sure why he's breaking them all of a sudden either. He's even doing it at home. And before you ask, yes I've been working with him everywhere and he's awesome everywhere. Just not at trials.

Contacts were awesome, sorta. He is driving down to the bottom more, versus looking up, however, he isn't stopping for his 4-on. Upside, he's stopping on the teeter and that's most important!

Off day again. Could be the cold, the rain, the dirt. I dunno.
 
Wow, today was worse. I went in just having fun and now, I'm more concerned than upset. Koji popped out of the weaves around the 4-5th pole. I tried 3 times on each course (so 6 total). Popping out at the same place.

So, either he HATED doing weaves in the dirt (first time on dirt), he's just being a PITA, OR (and I'm hoping not) something is wrong physically. I'm going to let him rest up today and if he's popping out at the same place tomorrow, I guess I'll be looking for a chiropractor for him.

This definitely worries me, mostly because he doesn't pop out of weaves. And when we did back in early Nov, I know it was me. This isn't me this time, this is all him. I'm not sure what is going on. Sigh.

So, minus the weaves, we had some great runs today. I think the lack of food prior to our runs are helping, he actually seems more focused on agility. On the downside, he's still breaking his stays. I really don't know what to do. big sigh. I'm not sure why he's breaking them all of a sudden either. He's even doing it at home. And before you ask, yes I've been working with him everywhere and he's awesome everywhere. Just not at trials.

Contacts were awesome, sorta. He is driving down to the bottom more, versus looking up, however, he isn't stopping for his 4-on. Upside, he's stopping on the teeter and that's most important!

Off day again. Could be the cold, the rain, the dirt. I dunno.

I would look into the chiropractor.Popping weaves is a sign he may be out.I wonder if he is out in the pelvis and atlas like my guys were.Is there some one at the trials that does massages?
 
I would look into the chiropractor.Popping weaves is a sign he may be out.I wonder if he is out in the pelvis and atlas like my guys were.Is there some one at the trials that does massages?

I'm not sure, but I'll ask to see if they have anyone there (I don't know this crowd yet). If not, I could ask my Rally trainer, she does the whole massage thing (it's actually her business). Would an adjustment be better than a massage? Also, how much do you typically pay. I'd hate to go there and have big time sticker shock.
 
I'm not sure, but I'll ask to see if they have anyone there (I don't know this crowd yet). If not, I could ask my Rally trainer, she does the whole massage thing (it's actually her business). Would an adjustment be better than a massage? Also, how much do you typically pay. I'd hate to go there and have big time sticker shock.

The massage is just to see where he ouchy.I know when I had Sting done with massage she hit one spot and I thought he would come off the table.The massage would help some but also I ended up pulling Sting from his JWW run.with chiropractor once he is adjusted you can't run your dog for a day.Just let him chill.I pay for each adjustment 62.00
 
I second Sharon on seeing a chiropractor. When you have a dog that is normally good in the weaves start popping regularly out of nowhere, especially in an unusual place like halfway through the weaves and not say... the last pole, it's time to look at physical issues.
 
Back
Top