3 day trial this weekend

Koji

I have some calls to make tomorrow, so I'm going to be covering ALL my bases and go from there. It's hard with Christmas being so near. Ugh.

BTW, I meant to tell all of you, this morning, as Koji was stretching (play bow), I heard something "crack" like as if he was cracking his back or something. I was like, "oh good, maybe you're back in alignment" LOL. Or maybe not. I'll try my vet first to see if they have a recommendation, if not, any thoughts on what kinds of questions I should be asking?

Why go to the vet? Just take him.When I took Sting I told Dr.Fuller what he was doing and she had me take him out so she could see his gait at a trot and then she adjusted him.He was out in the atlas and pelvis.The money you use by taking him to the vet would have paid for the chiro.Unless he is not feeling well then of course take him.

.
 
That's an interesting approach.

Barking at the handler can also be anxiety. Phebe does it to me sometimes in class. My instructors have taught me to put her in a down for a brief time-out and then we continue. It works well for us. I've even done it once or twice in a trial.

Congrats on the OAJ!

Thats what I do with Diva. She barks out of frustration or not knowing what to do. Downing her lets her collect her thoughts and gives her direction. One down and that usually does it.

I suspect with Diva if I grabbed her that would be the last time she let me get that close to her. I once took her off the top of the dogwalk(when the trainer told me too) after she refused to listen for the 3rd time and cut behind me to take the dogwalk and she refused to go out it the next time I asked. But each dog is different.
 
Last edited:
I figured I'd write this in case anyone was looking for an answer to my "what do you do when your dog breaks his stay in AKC?" question.

I asked the owner/trainer about that, her reply was this. You have 2 options, I'd give either a try.
1. don't lead out at all. do a running start. BUT, still do the stay. Put him in a stay and go. Next time, put him in a stay, take one step and go. And keep doing it until you have more of a lead-out again.
2. if you're in open or novice, you probably can get away with this one. put your dog as far back as you can from the first jump. put him in a stay, walk away. if he breaks (before the first obstacle), grab the dog and use your hands to put him in a stay, don't re-cue. And then either lead out again. She said to do this only in the lower levels because you probably can get away with it. probably not so much in Excellent.

Just some ideas for those that may be struggling too. It's hard when you can't train in the ring, even for an E. That's one thing I like about NADAC. I can train in the ring (at least one obstacle), so it helps a lot!

Thanks for listening to my 3-day rant. lol. overall, I'm seeing what we need to work on and what we have down pat. It was a good JWW weekend, but a bad STD weekend. But then, Koji's always been awesome at jumps. ;) Need more contact work. Definitely going to buy a board.....as soon as it stops raining.
 
Why go to the vet? Just take him.When I took Sting I told Dr.Fuller what he was doing and she had me take him out so she could see his gait at a trot and then she adjusted him.He was out in the atlas and pelvis.The money you use by taking him to the vet would have paid for the chiro.Unless he is not feeling well then of course take him.


Oh, sorry. I didn't write that well. I meant I was going to call the vet for a referral, to see if they know someone. Versus me just picking someone randomly. Oh, I did ask a couple of people, but 1, they kinda looked at me like I was crazy, or 2. they were over 1.5 hours away. Wow! Unless they're the best of the best, I'd like to find someone closer to my home. Hence, the vet referral. I should go fix that post.
 
kojii

Did you look at the list Ania sent of chiropractors from all of the US states.There were a ton in Ca.
 
Thats what I do with Diva. She barks out of frustration or not knowing what to do. Downing her lets her collect her thoughts and gives her direction. One down and that usually does it.

I suspect with Diva if I grabbed her that would be the last time she let me get that close to her. I once took her off the top of the dogwalk(when the trainer told me too) after she refused to listen for the 3rd time and cut behind me to take the dogwalk and she refused to go out it the next time I asked. But each dog is different.

For some reason, Koji doesn't "collect" very fast. He's not overly sensitive to me grabbing him, but honestly, I dislike associating things like that with agility in anyway. Down/sitting him, I have to do it for awhile (maybe 10 seconds) to get him to collect. In class, no biggie. On course, we all know that feels like a lifetime, so I rarely do it unless I'm about to walk off (in that case, after I make him sit/down for a bit, I'll just let him run off and take a jump or something on my way out).

Sigh. Like I said, things to work on. Do you think the same type of issue is with his reactivity to other dogs? I've also been debating on calling up a behaviorist. We noticed that it's lessened with my husband when he walks him, but he's psycho dog when I walk him (obviously, it's me, lol. isn't it always?).

Anyhow, I'm rambling. I have a lot to work on. Hoping for a more "overall" productive 2011.
 
Last edited:
Did you look at the list Ania sent of chiropractors from all of the US states.There were a ton in Ca.

I did. :) I don't want to choose blindly but there are 4 in my immediate area. And sadly, there is 3 within maybe an hour drive. The rest are probably closer to a 2 hour drive or another part of the state. CA is just too big sometimes, lol
 
Cheryl, I'm glad you ended the weekend with a Q for your title! That always helps you feel a bit more positive about the whole thing.

Random question...but in AKC do they have a practice jump outside the ring? In USDAA there is one practice jump. I wonder if it might help to get Koji amped up, and practice stays there. Dogs seem to translate better if the situations are similar (at the trial but not in the ring v. at the trial in the ring). Jackpot him with cookies every time he does it correctly. I know you said he doesn't seem as hyped up outside of the ring...but maybe if you work on it when he is excited?

I would still say that I think something may be physically wrong with Koji in the weave poles, like everyone else said. It would much easier for him to miss his entrance, or pop at the 10th (very common) than it would be for him to pop somewhere in the middle. Bentley has only done that once since he learned to weave. I tried one more time, then pulled him because I thought it was physical. Turns out he just slid on the dirt--he didn't miss again all weekend.

Anyways, congrats on your title!
 
I do think as your handling improves, he will bark you down less. Learn to send and go. Be proactive and cue early. The earlier you give a dog who is barking you down out of frustration (which is why most of them bark a person down) the less likely you are to run into them barking you down. Kai will do it. It's not the dog's fault... It means I didn't give her the directions she needed early enough for her to be able to go and do her job so she didn't wind up standing around barking at me. My trainer has drilled me on that over the last few months, and it has helped greatly. I haven't been barked down in a good long while because she is getting the information she needs and can go do her job without having to wait on me. Barking me down used to occur a lot at the weaves. It happened because instead of calling weave say... when she was going over the jump prior to the weaves and trusting she would go do them, I waited until I got to them to babysit the entry. I got barked down because we wound up stagnant. While I get holding the dog and getting him to settle down, it's not something you'll be able to do in the AKC ring, so is only a solution for in training.
I would be careful resetting him... Even in novice or open. Once you reset him, you've got to just go. They won't allow you to lead out again. If you do, you'll get whistled off. Even in novice and open, most judges will whistle you off for breaking the rules.
 
Koji

Cheryl, I'm glad you ended the weekend with a Q for your title! That always helps you feel a bit more positive about the whole thing.

Random question...but in AKC do they have a practice jump outside the ring? In USDAA there is one practice jump. I wonder if it might help to get Koji amped up, and practice stays there. Dogs seem to translate better if the situations are similar (at the trial but not in the ring v. at the trial in the ring). Jackpot him with cookies every time he does it correctly. I know you said he doesn't seem as hyped up outside of the ring...but maybe if you work on it when he is excited?

I would still say that I think something may be physically wrong with Koji in the weave poles, like everyone else said. It would much easier for him to miss his entrance, or pop at the 10th (very common) than it would be for him to pop somewhere in the middle. Bentley has only done that once since he learned to weave. I tried one more time, then pulled him because I thought it was physical. Turns out he just slid on the dirt--he didn't miss again all weekend.

Anyways, congrats on your title!
AKC does have a practice jump.Your dog can still be out and need adjustment even if he only has popped the weaves once.
 
Back
Top