A Pronounciation Question

Blue merles are gray with black, tan and white on them. They can have either blue or brown eyes. My Noah had one brown eye and the other eye was half brown/half blue. His brother that I saw had two brown eyes.
 
So does the Merl mean they have some type of blue on them. If its in their fur or their eyes?

Merle(I say merl) is a dilution gene so it can be applied to the black coat to produce gray(blue) or the sable coat to produce a light brown or white gray tint. It is an uneven dilution so the color will be patchy. The eyes in the merle dog can be blue or partly blue. But they can also be brown. The blue merle has tan points, the bi blue has no tan. Then there is the sable merle, they can be obviously mottled sable or barely noticable.
 
Last edited:
great info....Im just trying to figure out what Leah is. I think she is a sable merle. Im not sure though
 
great info....Im just trying to figure out what Leah is. I think she is a sable merle. Im not sure though

Looking at her pictures. I would say a sable merle. The sable looks to be 2 different shades and her blues eyes says sable merle to me. Calliemom's dog Cranberry is a good example of a sable merle. Lahree's ELlie is a sable merle. Others here have them too. I can only think of those 2 off the top of my head. In my friend's album, Pike, Brodie and Duchie are sable merles. They are the hard ones. Not very merle looking.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=180
 
Looking at her pictures. I would say a sable merle. The sable looks to be 2 different shades and her blues eyes says sable merle to me. Calliemom's dog Cranberry is a good example of a sable merle. Lahree's ELlie is a sable merle. Others here have them too. I can only think of those 2 off the top of my head. In my friend's album, Pike, Brodie and Duchie are sable merles. They are the hard ones. Not very merle looking.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=180

Thanks! That helps a lot. Your pups are so pretty. Ember has very interesting markings and coloring. Very beautiful.
 
Back
Top