Good Day,
I was wondering if anyone might have experienced this with their Sheltie or if anyone had any general thoughts on what this may be.
Our 4-year old sheltie Noah has always been in good health, but I noticed this summer that her normal sweet-faced Sheltie look was not the same. One of her eyes had a almost pinkish look around the edge of the eye. I also noticed that she had lost a little of her hair around her mouth.
The vet examined him and thought it might be an allergy of some type because he said dogs will sometimes develop allergies around this age. He put him on medication and it seemed to clear up most of the problem. The vet also mentioned that it could be an auto-immune disease, but was holding off on that for now.
The vet said on the re-exam that Noah looked better after the medication and suggested that if it happened again to give the dog Benadryl.
It did come back again and the Benadryl hasn't really helped. There is also a lot of head and body shaking and the dog is also dragging his paws over his eyes.
No real changes in the food. He's been eating Dr. Harvey's for a couple years but it does have quite a bit of grain in it and didn't know if that could all of a sudden cause an allergy problem.
I was just curious if anyone had experienced this with their Sheltie or had an opinion.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
Pat
I was wondering if anyone might have experienced this with their Sheltie or if anyone had any general thoughts on what this may be.
Our 4-year old sheltie Noah has always been in good health, but I noticed this summer that her normal sweet-faced Sheltie look was not the same. One of her eyes had a almost pinkish look around the edge of the eye. I also noticed that she had lost a little of her hair around her mouth.
The vet examined him and thought it might be an allergy of some type because he said dogs will sometimes develop allergies around this age. He put him on medication and it seemed to clear up most of the problem. The vet also mentioned that it could be an auto-immune disease, but was holding off on that for now.
The vet said on the re-exam that Noah looked better after the medication and suggested that if it happened again to give the dog Benadryl.
It did come back again and the Benadryl hasn't really helped. There is also a lot of head and body shaking and the dog is also dragging his paws over his eyes.
No real changes in the food. He's been eating Dr. Harvey's for a couple years but it does have quite a bit of grain in it and didn't know if that could all of a sudden cause an allergy problem.
I was just curious if anyone had experienced this with their Sheltie or had an opinion.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
Pat
