Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Absolutely dejected!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Aug 6, 2018.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Forums Sage

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Spitfire actually just tried to go under Angus but it was to attack thunder. Angus is just enough shorter that he can't LOL

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I will say that going to a group obedience class really helped Beckon's fear aggression. He's much less reactive!

ghggp likes this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I know they do go through a fear period stage, but boy that storm didn't help matters for you! My last real puppy was Asta, and she also hid behind my legs during puppy classes. This breed is so sensitive and some individuals even more so than others. Asta definitely blossomed along the way though and became very much a Zen dog - not too much bothered her. Just very grounded. I still miss her so much.

Liam will definitely get there, try to be calm and centered when he's freaking out, so he takes his cue from you!

ghggp likes this.
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I would keep going as long as Liam isn't shutting down and terrified. A little worry is okay--it's a good way to teach him that it's okay to be worried, but you're there and you won't allow anything to happen to him.

Is there a way that you can stand farther away or stay in the main area that may not be as noisy or scary? Even if you aren't participating in the class, per se, it will help to acclimatize. I would also not worry too much about asking for behaviors if he's reluctant. Just feed--and hot dogs as someone mentioned are a great stress reducer! You won't reinforce his fear by feeding him, so just food = good.

Like Finnie, Elise is scared of kids. I've been taking her to the park and standing as far away as I can where she isn't too stressed, but close enough that she can see them. And I just feed her!

ghggp likes this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I actually think it sounds like he did amazingly well. Next class just let him stand back and take things in for a little before class starts. Our Shelties like to watch and consider things before jumping in, unlike gundog breeds that race in and are all over the place with no focus. First classes are never about learning anything, but just letting the dogs getting familiarised with the surroundings.

ghggp likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks all for the directions to help Liam in his next class!! I will most certainly go earlier to just let him sit and observe! It does make sense to me now...
    It is true, shelties are great observers. I remember my first ever obedience class I had with my first sheltie over 20 years ago...

I kept patting her saying 'it's Okay' over and over again. The trainer came up to me and said, what are you doing? I was explaining that I wanted to help to comfort her.
    He explained it was having the opposite effect! As they say, live and learn!