Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Adopting Sheltie rescues are really competitive. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Considering a Sheltie?' started by angelnov90gmail.com, May 27, 2019.

1. angelnov90gmail.com

angelnov90gmail.com Forums Novice

May 24, 2019
    Wow. Adopting from rescue seem even harder after reading the experiences on here. I don’t even have Sheltie experience other than my old summer job.

One of the rescues’ applications requires me to prove that I paid the pet fee at my apartment which is $400. I haven’t paid it yet. It’s a lot of money down the drain especially since I probably won’t end up with a rescue and expect to move. I’ll check breeders, Craigslist and any ads as people have been suggesting.

Caro likes this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    That is ridiculous! Asking you to pay a pet deposit when you aren't guaranteed they will adopt a puppy to you! I can understand asking for that once you have been approved for a specific dog and before they hand him or her over, but not during the application process!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    From what I remember, when I adopted my first sheltie, they were very strict about only allowing adoptions to folks with fenced yards. They would go and do a home check. No fence, no sheltie. That said, they were willing to allow the rescue of an older dog to people with apartments.

Try local obedience clubs also.
    You might see some shelties and talk to the owners asking if they know of any shelties that might need to be rehomed. Just a thought...

Sharon7 and angelnov90gmail.com like this.
  4. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Times have changed. We saw our first rescue Sheltie on the breed rescue website applied and adopted. Now many don't list available dogs the people who already have applications in and waiting is so high. We went rescue our first 2 times and tried the 3rd. It wasn't working.

I contacted local breeders using the ASSA list. We wanted a pet quality Sheltie that wouldn't be aggressive towards our other 2 dogs. The breeder had hoped Annie would have a future as a show dog but when we got her at the age of 2 that clearly wasn't in her future. The breeder was looking to rehome her and it was the perfect match for us.

I'm open to rescue for our next one. The local Collie rescue has contacts with our of state Sheltie rescues that often have more available dogs than we do and have said they'd be willing to help coordinate a rescue.

Well sometimes frustrating I do think it's a positive sign there are fewer Shelties being abandoned.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    angelnov90gmail.com and Sharon7 like this.
  6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Yep Angus dad just went to a home a bit ago. We still see info on his life from time to time :). Also Angus'es sister.

7. angelnov90gmail.com

May 24, 2019
    ghggp likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You can set up alerts so you are notified as soon as a sheltie is available in your area!

9. angelnov90gmail.com

May 24, 2019
    Fingers crossed!