I so rarely see shelties at agility - it would be great to see and learn from the more experienced handlers running with a little sheltie at a sheltie speciality show.
Based on the discussion in this thread, http://sheltieforums.com/showthread.php?t=6735&highlight=2011+Nationals, its an AKC competition like any other (meaning, not an invitational), just send in the premium. It's probably filled via lottery though. I have to imagine they get A LOT of entrants.
I've run into people in both obedience and agility who were just rude and unpleasant to be around. Just like in the rest of the world. Best to just ignore them. You'll never change them and they just wreck your mood.
We had such a lady in my weds night agility class. She has an Aussie who I think is a nice dog. A bit of a brute but nice. His handler would like to stand in the middle of the course and direct him but he doesn't listen. Knocks bars, pops weaves, flies off contacts and runs around in circles on the verge of control. He does the same thing in obedience class. Runs out of ring, blows her off. His owner stands around and yells at him, flips singals at him and wonders why he doesn't do as she asks. Then the next person is up she'll stand outside the ring and put down everyone else preformance, their handling and their dogs. "that dog is so terrible why doesn't she just give up, she doesn't know what she is doing at all", then she does the same with the instructor. She blames her dogs preformance on his age he is so young Blah blah, Diva and Eamon are both younger and they listen. I finally told her that I didn't want to hear any of her negative comments and made a point of staying on the other end of the room if possible. She had some heated conversation with my friend shortly after and then the next week she decided we weren't nice and switch to Mon nights. Funny thing is we got a new member from mon. night who is really nice and runs a nice Boxer. Reason she came to our class. This same lady upon arriving at class saw her and state"OMG your in this class,your dog is so bad, you are really going to slow us down." Who's not nice? The Boxer lady told she loved the class we all so friendly.
I don't think I've quite figured out how to watch myself on video. I mean, it goes so fast, I can hardly tell what he's doing, much less me. I need to figure out how to slow these things down. Or, how do you, or any of you, watch it? Any special technique, cuz trust me, I can't figure anything out when I'm watching myself. LOL
No special technique here...just watch it over and over and over. And even then, I often don't see the things that I should. I think the best thing for me is that my husband does agility too, and we can talk (sometimes argue!) about what decisions we made on the course. That being said, I made a rule that we can't walk the course together, because we always end up arguing about it! I know that I've gotten a lot better at analyzing my runs the more I do it.
I know we talked about it before, but at least in some cases (like contacts), being able to slow the video down is a huge help. I'm not a big fan of the software that came with my camera, but at least it has that feature.
Oh, and speaking of frustrating runs, we went out to the field the other night and Bentley missed about 75% of his dogwalks. I wanted to pull my hair out!
Hello Guest,
Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.