Agility Ramblings

You know I started recording training and trials and that made a huge difference to our performance. It really helps because then you can see what your dog is watching. Earlier on Tully was watching my feet, now she watches my hands and esp my shoulders. Its all very well for someone to tell you, but it makes a difference when you can see for yourself.

I don't think I've quite figured out how to watch myself on video. I mean, it goes so fast, I can hardly tell what he's doing, much less me. I need to figure out how to slow these things down. Or, how do you, or any of you, watch it? Any special technique, cuz trust me, I can't figure anything out when I'm watching myself. LOL
 
There are plenty of competitors that feel anything other than AKC and USDAA is a joke.

So true, so true. There are also people who think we want to train our dogs to go to Nationals (isn't that right Ashley). I guess like anything, especially competitive, people have strong opinions about everything.

Water off a ducks back, right?!
 
You know, I was thinking...
I've been watching your videos since you started posted them. Every time I watch a video, I see improvement both in the way you and Koji communicate on course and in confidence.

Are you perfect? No, none of us are

Wait wait wait. Go back a sec. What do you mean I'm not perfect? Sheesh, and this whole time I just KNEW I was. :yes: :rolleyes2:

Thanks for the compliment. I think that's why when ppl criticize w/o it being constructive, I get so angry. I've come such a long ways over the past 10 months. I know they don't know that, but come on, I'm not exactly Advanced/Elite. Maybe they expected that since I was in an "advanced practice" class. I always remember that lady who gave me some great pointers after a NADAC competition. THAT is what I"m used to, lol. People give you constructive and useful criticism to help you get better. At the park, that wasn't necessarily helpful. I jsut have to remember, when it comes to "public", to just let it all go. Take what I want, lose the rest.
 
Well, good for you for training nicely and keeping the higher ground with the guy who's a jerk.


I would have probably widened my eyes and batted my lashes a bit and said "OH I am just SO happy that we could be here today to help you with your superiority complex."

Or something like that. Here in the south if we say "bless your little heart" it is not a real blessing, as we are acknowledging that you have a little, mean, poorly functioning organ.

hehehe. I've heard that before about "bless your little heart". I'm glad no one's said that to me. Like the French, you Southerners can tell people off and still have it sounding sugar coated. I need to find me a southern accent.
 
So true, so true. There are also people who think we want to train our dogs to go to Nationals (isn't that right Ashley).

I want to go to Nationals... well, Sheltie Nationals anyway. :yes: :lol:

Not because I have delusions of grandeur to compete at the level of the majority of those there but for the experience of "being there". I think it would be sort of cool to get one of my Open legs at Nationals next year.
 
Thanks everyone. There are just some harder days. Especially when I was fighting Koji the entire way. And then there are days like yesterday's training session. It was NOT easy and Koji was running beautifully. Doing everything almost perfectly.

I guess I'm also frustrated because I know I need to work distance and contacts with him. And I'm even more frustrated cuz DH is at home, not working (no job), has all the time in the world......and won't train him in fear of screwing him up. So I have to do it after work. So much going on. Not enough time, space, nor equipment. lol.
 
I want to go to Nationals... well, Sheltie Nationals anyway. :yes: :lol:

Not because I have delusions of grandeur to compete at the level of the majority of those there but for the experience of "being there". I think it would be sort of cool to get one of my Open legs at Nationals next year.

Oooo....that'd be kinda cool. How do you get there? There's going to be a Sheltie specialty in November (I hope). I'm going. I don't care where it is. lol. I want to see a TON of Shelties!!!
 
I know, I am just trying to build some muscle memory and SLOWLY pull away and teach the drive forward. Flyball is actually really helping in this regard.

I don't think I've quite figured out how to watch myself on video. I mean, it goes so fast, I can hardly tell what he's doing, much less me. I need to figure out how to slow these things down. Or, how do you, or any of you, watch it? Any special technique, cuz trust me, I can't figure anything out when I'm watching myself. LOL

Okay, so I figured out how to put my videos on my iPod Touch last night and did just because I could. It was SO much better than watching on the computer. The sound is better and everything. It was frustrating, sitting there through all of Duncan's barking (mostly at the weaves and the double jump), but I was able to actually SEE some of the mistakes, my frustration, and exactly where Duncan started to lose it. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch him at an earlier stage next practice.
 
Just found out the Sheltie show in Sydney in Sept wont be running agility trials this year. I'm so disappointed as it would have been my first speciality trial and I had alread booked accommodation where the pups could stay inside with me. Now I have to wait another 2 years for the Sheltie Nationals and by then Deska wont be able to run. I even worked out what to wear - my Southern Sheltie Gathering T-shirt!
 
Back
Top