Anesthetic Free Dental Cleaning

My vet "hand" scales Aztec teeth. She uses all the tools...and does it with him laying in my lap. Laika had to be sedated because she wouldn't sit for it. She can't do quite as perfect of a job with Aztec awake, but they still look good!
 
About 10 years ago, when I had 3 shelties, the Vet decided to clean my smallest boy's teeth by hand. The Percy was on heart medicine, so he didn't want to put him under. The first thing the Vet did was to try to stick most of his hand down Percy's throat. Percy was upset but didn't bite him, so the Vet went ahead and cleaned Percy's teeth. Worked out good for everybody.

I would have your Vet check out your dog's health first.
 
So Barb, did you snap and snarl?

Yes, I did actually! She hit some nerve which caused my jaw to snap shut! Totally involuntarility. I'm not sure who was more surprised - me or her! I did miss her finger mostly but her mirror got a dent! The rest of the time I just growled when she was getting close to a sensitive spot.
 
Yes, I did actually! She hit some nerve which caused my jaw to snap shut! Totally involuntarility. I'm not sure who was more surprised - me or her! I did miss her finger mostly but her mirror got a dent! The rest of the time I just growled when she was getting close to a sensitive spot.

now I'm laughing :lol:
 
Yes, I did actually! She hit some nerve which caused my jaw to snap shut! Totally involuntarility. I'm not sure who was more surprised - me or her! I did miss her finger mostly but her mirror got a dent! The rest of the time I just growled when she was getting close to a sensitive spot.

Barb you would have never made it through what I have sat through. I have had a few root canals done - one with out being numbed. I have had my wisdom teeth removed and go out for dinner the same day. My husband gets mad because it doesn't bother me like it bothers him and he thinks after an appt. I'll be quiet - never the case!! :biggrin2:
 
Well, I guarantee that noone ever holds me in their lap when I get my teeth done. I just have to "GRIN" and bear it!

Wish I had your fortitude, McGuireGirl!
 
Update

I asked my vet about this service. First, the idea of anesthetic free and secondly, about this company.

He said if a dog doesn't squirm, he has no problem with the anesthetic free cleaning. But if its a squirmy dog, it's best to knock them out or even do a light anesthesia. That way they're not stressed out. Makes sense. He said my older dogs teeth are fine (I don't think they are, but that's me). Koji's are clean and he felt that he wouldn't be a good candidate for anesthetic free because he squirms a lot.

As for the company, he said he's heard good things, but since they do it themselves (the vet) they'd rather do it at the office since they know their background/history/etc and the dogs are on-site JIC.

So, he said to come back in a year and we'll see about Miko's. Koji's are fine, so leave them be.

I went home and scraped Miko's teeth (Koji's too). I try to do that once every two weeks and brush them more often than that.

That's my update. For now, I'm not going to do anything. And dangit. I meant to ask how much the vet would charge. That company, through my daycare charges $140.
 
Back
Top