Any suggestions for finding Canadian Breeders?

I would be cautious about paid advertising (like Dogs in Canada). Anyone can pay to place an ad or list their kennel. Though it does give you a place to start

Word of mouth is best.

I can't help for Southern Ontario, but if they are willing to travel to Eastern Ontario, I've got several wonderful names. Let me know.
 
I would be cautious about paid advertising (like Dogs in Canada). Anyone can pay to place an ad or list their kennel. Though it does give you a place to start

Word of mouth is best.

I can't help for Southern Ontario, but if they are willing to travel to Eastern Ontario, I've got several wonderful names. Let me know.

The Dogs in Canada site lists breeders (some of whom I am familiar with and who are reputable) on their website and also in the annual. If a reputable breeder does not have any puppies, they will recommend you to a breeder they know who does have some.
 
You'd be surprised... the border patrol (at least at Calais-St. Stephen in Maine) are very, very careful about dotting the i's and crossing the t's when it comes to dogs crossing the border. Papers are checked, dogs are counted, and everyone needs to be accounted for on both border-crossings. They're very serious about their jobs (and really, that's a good thing).

I'm pretty sure it would just be a matter of declaring the puppy and paying a tax on his/her value (easy to determine, as it's the paying price), but she'd need to double-check.

I can also vouch for Toronto airport customs is pretty much the same way! Even flying in for one day (since it was only one day and hence little luggage) I was questioned up and down, and than returning with a dog was just as bad. I got pulled and had to go into the office to go through all the paperwork....

But if your within driving distance check out New York (buffalo) area and Michigan breeders. You can start on the www.ASSA.org website to breeders in the states.
 
For your entertainment I will tell the story of crossing the border to take a litter of pups that Shelhaven (Nova Scotia) and Rabbit Run had co-bred. No need to take the dam, as of course they were older by then....9 weeks.
So, off I go with my little traveling companions for the 13 hour drive..periodically hearing "Blahh...blahh...blahh". Two to a crate.
I get to the border, show my papers, and they tell me to drive up to the building and go in and speak to a customs officer. Okay....
When I get inside and speak with the officer, they assume that I am coming to Canada to sell puppies. I was furious and insulted that they thought I would sell these puppies on the sidewalk. So..in a rude manner, the officer asks "How much do you sell these puppies for?" In my indignant voice, I replied "I wouldn't take less then $1200.00 for a puppy!" Then he started banging on the adding machine...and said "That will be $650.00 duty. We only take cash or check." After I stopped laughing (they were not) they agreed to a credit card. I explained that I would be returning with the puppies, minus one (that would remain with Shelhaven) three days later. Upon my return to the border, I was to check in, and they would count the puppies in the crates, and refund the monies paid in duty for each. That is exactly what they did.....except it took 6 months to get my money back.
 
What ever happened to the Free Trade Agreement between US and Canada? Leave it to beurocrats to interpret the law. Shaking my head!
 
I guess I was lucky...when we brought Bailey across the border from Canada to Maine, we didn't get questioned at all, except the border patrol agent wanted to pet Bailey and ask all about her and where we got her. She was definitely a sheltie lover and she told us all about her pet sheltie growing up. I wouldn't be surprised if she contacted Karen at Shelhaven to ask about getting a pet sheltie from her! :wink2:
 
Back
Top