Anyone use fish oil supplements?

Thank you all for the good solid information! I'm surprised the 1,000 mg I take would be OK for an 18 pound dog - I will check the label of the stuff I take and see what the DHA and EPA is. The girls will eat anything so if they will actually eat the capsule, that would be simple!

Thanks again, everyone! :smile2:

Sharon
 
Follow up

I'm looking for a human fish oil supplement for dogs (hoping that it's a bit cheaper than the dog specific stuff).

After reading Rachael's information about EPA and DHA, I'm a little wary about just getting some random brand out there.

Also, some are made from salmon, anchovy and sardines, and others are just anchovy and sardine.

Anyone have any specific brands that they use?


For example:

Nature Made (1 capsule): EPA 432 mg and DHA 288 mg

I would really rather not have to figure out a way to divide it in half.
 
I'm looking for a human fish oil supplement for dogs (hoping that it's a bit cheaper than the dog specific stuff).

After reading Rachael's information about EPA and DHA, I'm a little wary about just getting some random brand out there.

Also, some are made from salmon, anchovy and sardines, and others are just anchovy and sardine.

Anyone have any specific brands that they use?


For example:

Nature Made (1 capsule): EPA 432 mg and DHA 288 mg

I would really rather not have to figure out a way to divide it in half.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, this is what I've been giving mine and have had good luck with it. I've been giving it to them since July and its made a big difference in Sadie's recovery from her stroke, plus their coats are beautiful. Its a very good brand, I've taken it myself. Its not cheap though. It contains oil from anchovies, sardines and mackerel.

They each get a 1/2 a teaspoon a day, which equals 375mg EPA and 250 mg DHA.

http://www.ascentahealth.com/products/human/nutrasea-original-500-ml#details
 
Last edited:
I give it once a day to the adults. It's really helped with Lucy's skin, too. I stab the caplet with a fork while it's in the bowl w/food. Keeps it from getting everywhere as it just gets on the kibble.
 
Well as a follow-up, I tried the girls on my fish oil caps from Costco. They have a total of 300mg of DHA and EPA, doesn't specify how much of each. I put the capsules on their kibble and they both ate it up for 3 nights now, so that's easy!

Hopefully I'll notice a difference in a month or so.

Sharon
 
Well as a follow-up, I tried the girls on my fish oil caps from Costco. They have a total of 300mg of DHA and EPA, doesn't specify how much of each. I put the capsules on their kibble and they both ate it up for 3 nights now, so that's easy!

Hopefully I'll notice a difference in a month or so.

Sharon

I decided to try it, too. We have the Omega 3 brand, and it's a little too much DHA and EPA, so we're squeezing half into their bowls.

Let's report back in a month!
 
what is the recommended dosage of DHA & EPA for dogs?

Grizzly Salmon oil didn't agree with Bailey's stomach. Even when I slowly introduced it. So, I'm back to using a generic human fish oil capsule. Instead of squeezing the oil out, I just gave her the whole pill and she chewed it. That's much easier for me, because I ruined two shirts from the splattered oil.

The brand I have says DHA/EPA 250mg. I don't know if that means 250 each or 125 each.
 
Back
Top