Application Submitted to Adopt Puppy Mill Mom!

Help! Itchy dog!

Lady is doing great this morning, except she's scratching almost constantly! I can tell she has some dry skin--she has some flakies going on. They double checked her for fleas before she left the shelter, and seemed fine. Since she's also quite a stinky dog, I thought I'd give her a bath today, but will that make it better or worse? I gave her some fish oil on her food today, but I know that won't be an immediate fix. Oh, and she LOVES plain yogurt! I had to put some on her dry food to get her to eat it.

Speaking of fleas, the lady at the shelter gave me some pictures of her fur when she was first rescued. Ohmygosh....I've never seen anything like it. There was as much flea dirt as there was fur, and for a sheltie, you KNOW that's saying a lot! Her hot spots seem to have healed up fine..I just worry with all this scratching she's going to hurt herself again.

Any advice on the itching? Do you think some of it is just because her fur is growing back in?
 
if you do bathe her use an Oatmeal enriched shampoo. You may also want to rinse her iin baking soda mixed with water after you rinse the shampoo off and rub the water and baking soda in and rinse off. I have found tea tree oil works miracles on my itchy babies. They make a dog shampoo with tea tree oil that seems to soothe the itchies and makes the dander (flaky skin) better right away
 
Broken/Damaged Nail?

OK, Lady had her bath today, and looks SO much better. I think she feels better too, but doesn't want to admit it. :winkgrin:

Question about her nails....Of course she hadn't had her nails trimmed in ages until she got to rescue. I guess they were completely curled under, so as you can imagine, the quick is longer than it should be. The shelter trimmed them up again before we left, but they're still technically too long for her toes. One of her toes seems to have a damaged nail--she won't let me mess with it too much, but it almost seems to be loose! It also looks like it sticks out at a funny angle. When she got out of the tub, it was bleeding a little, so now she wants to keep licking it.

Any ideas on what I should do? My husband thinks I should wrap it up so she doesn't mess with it, but you know how dogs are...sometimes that just makes them want to mess with it even more. I have some Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment....I wonder if that would soothe it at all, or if she's better off just letting it heal in the open air.

I guess I should call the vet anyway tomorrow to get her in for a check up. The rescue's vet gave her a clean bill of health after her spay and dental, but my husband doesn't trust it. (?????) If nothing else, they need to get her vaccination records on file too. We're expecting a bunch of snow tonight, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get there tomorrow.

Poor little doggie...she's just been through so much.
 
Welcome home, Lady! May the rest of your life be filled with joy and loving care -- what you always deserved! :yes:
 
No advice on the nail but I agree with your husband. You really should take her to your own vet even if it's just to get aquainted and get what records you have on file there. When I adopted Baxter last August he arrived on Fri and had a vet appointment first thing Mon am. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the vet used by the rescue, I just felt better having him checked by the vet that I know and trust.
 
What a sweetheart she seems to be... and she looks so comfortable in her new surroundings. Bless you and your family for your big hearts !
 
Thank you ever so much for adopting Lady. She is beautiful. Blue eyes and all.
She now is one fortunate sheltie. Please keep us posted on how she is doing. And how she does tomorrow at the vets. Thanks.
 
Thank you ever so much for adopting Lady. She is beautiful. Blue eyes and all.
She now is one fortunate sheltie. Please keep us posted on how she is doing. And how she does tomorrow at the vets. Thanks.

My error, that's a blue eye, and a brown eye. Still beautiful, though.
 
Back
Top