Are they over weight?

A couple big questions...

How much are you feeding her? (ducking when I say this)...I free feed 4 dogs...ONLY EMMA has the weight problem....approximately 4 cups a day between all dogs. But I am going to try to feed Emma and Noelle separately.
What kind of food are you feeding her? I mix BB and Nutro, but will now be doing one or the other.
How many treats/bones/table scraps does she get? None.
What kind of exercise does she get? I have a very BIG back yard with a 6 foot fence, more than enough room for her to get a good long run...but she is happier inside. I even have a doggie door. A large part is MY fault. I use to walk her, but honestly she gets (or should get) more exercise from out in the yard because it is so big than just a simple walk. But since my Mom pasted, even my energy, desire and weight has changed!

People always seem surprised by how little you usually need to feed your dog (varies by dog, of course). Both of my two are around 16" and get about 1/2 to 2/3 C per day. And they are VERY active. This doesn't include treats, but it's something to think about.

One of our members, ClantyreSheltie, I believe, said it best when she says weight loss is a simple equation of calories in v. calories out. You can decrease calories in (food) or increase calories out (exercise) or a combination of both.

Oh, and I would also be curious what her thyroid levels look like. A "normal" range for shelties is different than other dogs, and your vet may not be aware of that.

I am taking both Emma and Noelle this Thursday to have their teeth cleaned and I will ask my vet about the specifics of her thyroid results. he told me they were normal, but I will ask "what" they were.
 
I am taking both Emma and Noelle this Thursday to have their teeth cleaned and I will ask my vet about the specifics of her thyroid results. he told me they were normal, but I will ask "what" they were.

I won't flame you for free feeding, but I will point out a few of the negatives of doing it.

When you free feed, you can't really tell how much the dogs are eating. If you can't tell how much they're eating, it's really hard to increase or decrease their portions if you're seeing a weight problem.

Also, the way and the amount that a dog eats can be a great indicator of health. In fact, the only obvious symptom my dog showed when he had an obstruction was that he ate a tiny bit slower than usual. I was able to tell because I set the bowls down and my dogs eat right away and I watch the whole thing.

As to the yard, I would highly recommend taking Emma out separately for a walk. Again, that way you are there to monitor how much exercise she is getting. If I put my two dogs in the yard, neither of them would run around much. One of them would likely just stand there the majority of the time--it's just his nature. I know that getting into a walking/exercise regimen can be hard, so it helps to set small goals for yourself. Maybe set your alarm 5 minutes earlier in the morning and walk down to the end of the street and back. Celebrate! :) Then in the afternoon, try to walk in one direction for 5 minutes, and then turn around. Celebrate! You'll really feel good about yourself when you set goals and achieve them. I have to do that in the mornings because I'd usually rather be sleeping :) but at the end of the walk I feel great!
 
I won't flame you for free feeding, but I will point out a few of the negatives of doing it.

When you free feed, you can't really tell how much the dogs are eating. If you can't tell how much they're eating, it's really hard to increase or decrease their portions if you're seeing a weight problem.

Also, the way and the amount that a dog eats can be a great indicator of health. In fact, the only obvious symptom my dog showed when he had an obstruction was that he ate a tiny bit slower than usual. I was able to tell because I set the bowls down and my dogs eat right away and I watch the whole thing.

As to the yard, I would highly recommend taking Emma out separately for a walk. Again, that way you are there to monitor how much exercise she is getting. If I put my two dogs in the yard, neither of them would run around much. One of them would likely just stand there the majority of the time--it's just his nature. I know that getting into a walking/exercise regimen can be hard, so it helps to set small goals for yourself. Maybe set your alarm 5 minutes earlier in the morning and walk down to the end of the street and back. Celebrate! :) Then in the afternoon, try to walk in one direction for 5 minutes, and then turn around. Celebrate! You'll really feel good about yourself when you set goals and achieve them. I have to do that in the mornings because I'd usually rather be sleeping :) but at the end of the walk I feel great!

Thank you. This is going to be baby steps and sounds crazy to even say that. But this past yr and half has really set me back to the point I feel like I have no idea what I am doing anymore. :hide But I will do what I need to; baby steps.

Today, I set a very small amount (less than a cup) of food down to just see "when" they eat because I have noticed for a long while now that they seem to eat later in the day. So far...it is nearly 4:30 in the afternoon and not one of the dogs has even touched the food. They are late eaters which is probably MY fault too. For a long while now I have trouble sleeping...go to bed in the wee hours of the night (sometimes 4-5am) and sleep on and off until noon or 1 pm. BAD HABIT I know...but you would have to know what has been going on with me to understand (depressed to say the least). It's like I am on 3rd shift time.

I will get up around 7-8am and let them out but then they just go back to bed with me and not eat until later in the day, even though the food is down for them (which is the habit I am going to try to break)...I'm still waiting to see when one of them approaches the bowl. I know I am suppose to put it down, give 15 minutes and take up, but I needed to know what their eating times are now and try to change it. When I said free feed I never just keep the bowl full of food...I scoop out 3 1/2 - 4 cups for ALL 4 dogs in the bowl.....I only do that one time a day and there is usually some left before bedtime.
 
Thank you. This is going to be baby steps and sounds crazy to even say that. But this past yr and half has really set me back to the point I feel like I have no idea what I am doing anymore. :hide But I will do what I need to; baby steps.

Today, I set a very small amount (less than a cup) of food down to just see "when" they eat because I have noticed for a long while now that they seem to eat later in the day. So far...it is nearly 4:30 in the afternoon and not one of the dogs has even touched the food. They are late eaters which is probably MY fault too. For a long while now I have trouble sleeping...go to bed in the wee hours of the night (sometimes 4-5am) and sleep on and off until noon or 1 pm. BAD HABIT I know...but you would have to know what has been going on with me to understand (depressed to say the least). It's like I am on 3rd shift time.

I will get up around 7-8am and let them out but then they just go back to bed with me and not eat until later in the day, even though the food is down for them (which is the habit I am going to try to break)...I'm still waiting to see when one of them approaches the bowl. I know I am suppose to put it down, give 15 minutes and take up, but I needed to know what their eating times are now and try to change it. When I said free feed I never just keep the bowl full of food...I scoop out 3 1/2 - 4 cups for ALL 4 dogs in the bowl.....I only do that one time a day and there is usually some left before bedtime.

You need to take that food,split it in two...(1/2c) and at least try to take Emma and seperate her. And probably 1c,,at her weight & activity level is way to much. Remember...activity level, is key here,and she has zero activity,at least not enough to burn off those calories that is in the food you are feeding. Please seperate her.
It is the only way,to get her especially on some sort of feeding schedule.She will not starve. She may be pissed off,and wonder why you are only leaving the bowl down for 15 minutes,but she will get the drift.

I know I am repeating everything that we chatted about,but the routine needs to change,in order to get her regulated. I can relate to you about schedules,my son & wife slept all day,as both were on 3rd shift.

Even if you continued to retire to bed at your leisure,there still is no reason,the dogs cannot be fed at regular times 2x a day.

As right now Emma is the dog with weight issues...Emma is getting 98% of the kibble.

with the free feed...since you know Emma is the over weight one.. the others are only getting tid bits. Those chihuahuas do not eat much.

The one that is eating the majority of the 4c is Emma.,And you probably are not noticing body language when dogs are approaching the food.

It does'nt take much for body language to discourage other dogs from approaching/or sneaking up on that bowl when Emma is not noticing.

I know this is difficult,but I know from our talk,that you do care,and love your babes. With support/help/suggestions we can do this for you here on forums.
Try even as slight as it is,take Emma for a very short walk. Not only are you helping her,but you are breaking this routine you have slid into your self. You will feel better,with just a bit of change of scenery. Walk 5 minutes,gradually make it longer. Go for a drive somewhere,take Emma with you.
Baby steps,...you can do this~
 
You need to take that food,split it in two...(1/2c) and at least try to take Emma and seperate her. And probably 1c,,at her weight & activity level is way to much. Remember...activity level, is key here,and she has zero activity,at least not enough to burn off those calories that is in the food you are feeding. Please seperate her.
It is the only way,to get her especially on some sort of feeding schedule.She will not starve. She may be pissed off,and wonder why you are only leaving the bowl down for 15 minutes,but she will get the drift.

I know I am repeating everything that we chatted about,but the routine needs to change,in order to get her regulated. I can relate to you about schedules,my son & wife slept all day,as both were on 3rd shift.

Even if you continued to retire to bed at your leisure,there still is no reason,the dogs cannot be fed at regular times 2x a day.

As right now Emma is the dog with weight issues...Emma is getting 98% of the kibble.

with the free feed...since you know Emma is the over weight one.. the others are only getting tid bits. Those chihuahuas do not eat much.

The one that is eating the majority of the 4c is Emma.,And you probably are not noticing body language when dogs are approaching the food.

It does'nt take much for body language to discourage other dogs from approaching/or sneaking up on that bowl when Emma is not noticing.

I know this is difficult,but I know from our talk,that you do care,and love your babes. With support/help/suggestions we can do this for you here on forums.
Try even as slight as it is,take Emma for a very short walk. Not only are you helping her,but you are breaking this routine you have slid into your self. You will feel better,with just a bit of change of scenery. Walk 5 minutes,gradually make it longer. Go for a drive somewhere,take Emma with you.
Baby steps,...you can do this~


Wow, total chaos LOL This morning I took Emma and about 2/3 cup of food with 1/4 tsp of coconut oil on it to my room and sat with her while she ate. Then had to fed Noelle, she did NOT want to eat, she was not digging the change. So I had her ON my bed (Emma couldn't get to her) and had to HAND feed her. Then off to feed the 2 Chihuahua's.

Then went to grocery today, got squash, cucumbers, green beans, peas, lima beans, apples, banana's and pumpkin (pure, in the can). So tonight's meal time was even more confusing! I tired to put a different bowl down for everyone (that had about the same in it) and they all wanted someone elses!!

Again, about 2/3 cup (not mixing the kibbles MbFrench, she is just getting one, for now the Nutro) and she left a little she didn't eat...I mixed in 1 TBSP of pumpkin and frozen green beans; I made everyone the same mixture. Finally had to take Emma to my room, shut the door, come out and try to coach Noelle into eating. One of the Chihuahua's LOVED the new mix!

I gotta figure out how to feed them all at the same time and keep them to their own bowls. My question now...I opened the pumpkin can, how long will it keep in the frig (covered) until I have to throw it away. Does it go bad? And how long is the FOOD good for that I put the pumpkin on?

Whew, I'm exhausted LOL Gonna give a variety with the fruit and veggies. When at the grogery I started talking to a lady that was telling me her sister had a Sheltie and she feed her boiled chicken and veggies every day, 2 times a day for her meals. Wondering if that would be easier and cheaper? At least I would know they would eat it. :o)

Day 1 down.....:o
 
Wow, total chaos LOL This morning I took Emma and about 2/3 cup of food with 1/4 tsp of coconut oil on it to my room and sat with her while she ate. Then had to fed Noelle, she did NOT want to eat, she was not digging the change. So I had her ON my bed (Emma couldn't get to her) and had to HAND feed her. Then off to feed the 2 Chihuahua's.

Then went to grocery today, got squash, cucumbers, green beans, peas, lima beans, apples, banana's and pumpkin (pure, in the can). So tonight's meal time was even more confusing! I tired to put a different bowl down for everyone (that had about the same in it) and they all wanted someone elses!!

Again, about 2/3 cup (not mixing the kibbles MbFrench, she is just getting one, for now the Nutro) and she left a little she didn't eat...I mixed in 1 TBSP of pumpkin and frozen green beans; I made everyone the same mixture. Finally had to take Emma to my room, shut the door, come out and try to coach Noelle into eating. One of the Chihuahua's LOVED the new mix!

I gotta figure out how to feed them all at the same time and keep them to their own bowls. My question now...I opened the pumpkin can, how long will it keep in the frig (covered) until I have to throw it away. Does it go bad? And how long is the FOOD good for that I put the pumpkin on?

Whew, I'm exhausted LOL Gonna give a variety with the fruit and veggies. When at the grogery I started talking to a lady that was telling me her sister had a Sheltie and she feed her boiled chicken and veggies every day, 2 times a day for her meals. Wondering if that would be easier and cheaper? At least I would know they would eat it. :o)

Day 1 down.....:o

Humm..well since I do not know the lay out of your home,it is difficult for me to say "where" to put the dogs.
Are the chihuahua's food agressive? Do they bowl surf? If not,then I would put those two dogs either in another bedroom,bathroom,

I would be looking at "where can I use a baby gate" as this could solve your problems.

Put Emma in your bedroom,after a day or two of the confusion,she will get the hint that this is meal time,and we best not be wasteing alot of time. 15 minutes down,if no eating,take it back up. Do not offer her another meal until next meal time. Again 15 minutes...

The Chi's are the most difficult,as they often take food out of thier bowls,wander,nibble..etc. I took care of my son's chi's for 9 days. I knew one was food agressive....so out came a small x-pen.

One went there,the other was allowed to be out (but still in same room)..if they did not eat in 15 minutes,the bowls went away. Not the routine my son & DIL had...but I have other dogs,and I was not letting the finicky routine of these spoiled dogs,upset my home. It is what it is~

Using boiled chicken,veggies,rice,unless you are really versed on this type of feeding,I do not believe other than short term use should it be used. I don't believe they will get all of what they need to sustain themselves.
Its good while they are sick etc..but I think you will find they will not get enough.
Now..there are folks on here,that do cook for thier dogs,or feed raw etc..they will indeed be able to help you out,more than I.

As far as the opened can of pumpkin,I freeze the opened can,and put in ice cube trays. Take out as many cubes as one would need,either defrost a few seconds,or let it thaw in bowl. That way you are not wasting pumpkin.

I have hand fed at times,here but it is usually when one is off or not feeling well. I simply cannot devote sitting on floor to hand feed a dog,but I have if they have been sick. Sitting with them,say if you are putting Emma in your bedroom..I would maybe wander about,fold laundry,straighten up your bedroom..etc.talk to her,and praise her when she is nibbling on her food. She will soon learn that it is "acceptable" to eat while you are there,and learn that meal times are for eating,and not for ignoring what is that dish.

(I know I might sound harsh) but I simply do not cater to my guys here,unless it is needed. Its simply my way..or they don't eat. Unless they are sickor recovering from illness,surgery etc...thats a whole differant ball game.

Remember...you are in control.Letting it get exhausting,overwhelming is only going to let that 4C free feed option look better to you.

Take a good look at your home,decide where you can put a baby gate. OR...do the easiest,and invest in 2 crates,,,and use them for feeding. That's my solution.Easy peesy..no fuss..no worries.

They will associate that crate with good things. (food)..Plus you may find one of those shelties one day all curled up in its "den" taking a siesta!
 
Crates- everybody in own crate with bowl. somebody takes longer to eat, they can stay in there until they are done.

Cran and Dix from day 1 have eaten in their crates and you better not get in the way at meal times- they will run you over to get in their crate and wait for their meals. Cran was a little puppy when he started and Dix was 10 months and there is no issue with either of them. and yes, we travel with crates so never an issue......
 
Sca will inhale food but is well behaved and knows better than to invade Spitfire's bowl (Sca is so well behaved :yes:) Spitfire would not dream of getting in Sca's bowl as Sca would eat him.

Michelle how is the hordes weight? I know you had to reset the weight loss due to behavior issues but are they back to losing at a lower pace?
 
Sca will inhale food but is well behaved and knows better than to invade Spitfire's bowl (Sca is so well behaved :yes:) Spitfire would not dream of getting in Sca's bowl as Sca would eat him.

Michelle how is the hordes weight? I know you had to reset the weight loss due to behavior issues but are they back to losing at a lower pace?

Yes...this thread has got off topic...

Trapp has lost another pound since the coconut oil intro to his diet.Jasper another 3/4pd...And drum roll...Mis is now at her early weight of 20lbs.So she has lost the most.(6lbs) Which is quite surprising givin the "I dont do any thing routine"...
We are giving green beans,peas,broccoli,all frozen. Food is right at 2/3c for the day. They are eating Acana,which they so totally love.
 
Great so Mia is now fit and the guys are on track to get there :cool:

Sca rebelled at green beans. He would pick them up and gum them until they were soft/defrosted them spit them out in the living room :lol:
 
Back
Top