Hi everyone,
I have an 8 year old sheltie named Duncan. I adopted him about 3 years ago. Apparently he had food allergies for years and his previous owners finally put him on Prescription Diet ZD and he showed a great improvement. I have kept him on ZD since I got him and his food allergies seem to be in check (no frequent vomiting, diarrhea, ect as his previous owners reported) . Unfortunately, he also suffers from environmental allergies and gets frequent hot spots and ear infections.
I took him to the vet last week for an ear infection and and she suggested that we start him on Atopica and Ketulonazole since he has these frequent infections and hot spots. I have been doing some research and don't like what I see about either -- so many people seem to have negative side effects, and some websites say that you should not even mix both together. So far I have only given him the Ketulonzaole since I know it is an anti-fungal and his ear infection was yeast based. But I have not started the Atopica - all of the websites I have found say bad things and I am nervous about using an immune-suppresent because I don't want to make Duncan susceptible to other problems.
Does anyone have any experience using these drugs? Or any other recommendations for allergy treatment?
On a side note, what are people doing about the lack of Interceptor production. My sheltie had been doing well on Interceptor and now that it is not being produced, my vet is suggesting Revolution. Anyone have any experiences with that?
Thanks
I have an 8 year old sheltie named Duncan. I adopted him about 3 years ago. Apparently he had food allergies for years and his previous owners finally put him on Prescription Diet ZD and he showed a great improvement. I have kept him on ZD since I got him and his food allergies seem to be in check (no frequent vomiting, diarrhea, ect as his previous owners reported) . Unfortunately, he also suffers from environmental allergies and gets frequent hot spots and ear infections.
I took him to the vet last week for an ear infection and and she suggested that we start him on Atopica and Ketulonazole since he has these frequent infections and hot spots. I have been doing some research and don't like what I see about either -- so many people seem to have negative side effects, and some websites say that you should not even mix both together. So far I have only given him the Ketulonzaole since I know it is an anti-fungal and his ear infection was yeast based. But I have not started the Atopica - all of the websites I have found say bad things and I am nervous about using an immune-suppresent because I don't want to make Duncan susceptible to other problems.
Does anyone have any experience using these drugs? Or any other recommendations for allergy treatment?
On a side note, what are people doing about the lack of Interceptor production. My sheltie had been doing well on Interceptor and now that it is not being produced, my vet is suggesting Revolution. Anyone have any experiences with that?
Thanks