Baby Dixie isnt feeling good

GillsGoneWild

Forums Regular
Hi, I haven't posted since I lost my sweet Shellie,but since we are the pround new parents of a baby girl,we call her Dixie and she is almost 15 weeks old. We had forgotten what its like to have a puppy !!! Alot of work but a lot of fun.But anyway my 2 questions are 1. she got bit by severasl fire ants yesterday didn't know it till last night when I looked on her little belly she doesnt feel good we can tell by the way she is acting.We have put out fire ant granules and hoping to be rid of them ,it is really hard to keep her away from something we can't see but does anyone have any remedies if this ever happens again.Question 2 is her right eye a few weeks ago wasn't looking right I had vet look at and she said she found lash and eye gel. It seem to do better and only time it would look bad would be when she was real tired and it would look like her little eye was rolling back in her head. It is back like that today and has stayed this way I have an appointment with dr in morning but was wondering it anyone has seen this, thanks sorry for being so long winded!!
 
Tully has been bitten by ants (not sure which type) a couple of times and had a bad allergic reaction. Twice on her face so it was pretty obvious - she looked like a pug she swelled so much.

I gave her phenergan (promethazine) straight away, 5mg. Phenergan is a human antihistamine and I have checked with the vet before about giving her this (she has 3mg for hayfever). You can check with your vet what human antihistamines they recommend and the dosage so at least you have something on hand.
 
Benadryl might be a good thing to give for the ant bite. Like Caro said, check with your vet first, though.

And please keep us posted about little Dixie's eye. Hopefully it's no big deal, whatever it is.
 
Went to vet and gave her some antibiotics for the little bites and said to give her if it happen again children's benedryl 1/4 of a childs dose, as for her eye she agreed it look nasty but she checked to see if it had a scratch to cause it to be so red but it didnt .We both thought he right eye seems smaller than the left one,not that that would cause this.And she said it could be a reaction to the fire ants, so now my number one things is to get my yards ant free!!!
 
Went to vet and gave her some antibiotics for the little bites and said to give her if it happen again children's benedryl 1/4 of a childs dose, as for her eye she agreed it look nasty but she checked to see if it had a scratch to cause it to be so red but it didnt .We both thought he right eye seems smaller than the left one,not that that would cause this.And she said it could be a reaction to the fire ants, so now my number one things is to get my yards ant free!!!

Glad to hear that you have some meds for her and hopefully she will get better soon! Those ants sound NASTY :eek2:
 
Happy to hear your little girl went to the vet. Those fire ants burn me when they bite. I can only imagine how it feels to a puppy.
 
I hope your little girl is feeling better! Ugh, bugs! Thankfully we don't have fire ants here but we do get carpenter ants and the tiny ones.

I've had good luck sprinkling diotomaceous earth (food grade) around the house, walks and even on the lawn to kill them. The good thing about it is it won't hurt your puppy even if she eats it -- that's why we use food grade. You have to reapply it after rain but it might be worth trying to keep them away.

Another simple solution I found to keep them out of the house is plain table salt, although you wouldn't want your puppy eating that. I sprinkle a line of it on the decks right next to the house each spring and it actually repels them. They won't cross it. I don't remember where I read about it but I've been doing it for years and astoundingly, it works.
 
Ants don't like bleach either. My cousin was staying with us a while back and one night I noticed tons of ants all of a sudden on an end table and windowsill. His son studies bugs and said they hate bleach so I cleaned them off the endtable and then took some bleach in a paper towel and ran over the windowsill and next morning they were gone. Would watch this practice with dogs though.
 
Could she be reacting to the fire ant granules that you put out? I wouldn't mess with poison of any kind around my sheltie.

Use Diatomaceous Earth, it was recommended, it works and you have two positive experiences right here in the forum.



Kate
 
Back
Top