Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Barking just isn't enough now...

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Stewart Werley, Nov 27, 2018.

1. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu never misses an opportunity to bark. He can tell when we get ready to leave, he knows what is coming, so why not bark? We toss him a treat when we walk out the door, and he could care less what we do after that. Never had any issues with him when he is alone, so we think the barking and carrying on when we leave is just plain fun for him.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    So many good advice you've already got :yes:

My dogs have never had alone problems,
    although they always follow /are with me all the time when I'm home

They are never put away - never been in cages inside (never owned one)

That way they learn what's right and what's not so good
    It is important to me that they learn to have full confidence in me

Now to the case :wink2:
    When I get ready to go - Minnie also gets ready :winkgrin:
    I say 2-3 times along the way - "no you have to stay home" with a soft confident voice.

Just before I go out, I spread a bit of Minnie's food around the living room floor
    - says "mom comes in a while" - out and lock the door in a hurry.

Everything very "not pedagogical" - but it has worked for us.
    But now Minnie is also smart and understands everything I say. :smile2:

Think it's very important to be very confident - and believe in the project.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yup, that's how Riley is (he hates it when anyone leaves)... As much as i used to think Riley had separation anxiety it's more like your Zulu. I usually just throw a cookie down the hall for Riley and rush out the door (heaven help me though if I forget something and have to go back in, then I REALLY get heck from Riley). Finnie figures, hey this is fun...lets bark when mom leaves! Lol

One thing I would suggest is to get Chewie to do a sit stay (or down) before you go out through the gate and reward him when you come back into the room. Might help him to settle down and prevent him from getting upset. The reward will teach him that he gets a treat when he doesn't react.

RikyR and ghggp like this.
  4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Shelby sounds just like Riley. She just seems to “yell” at you when you leave the house. She is not at all clingy, she is extremely independant and does not have separation anxiety. When we leave she always gets a treat and she must sit, shake good bye, and give a kiss before she gets her treat. Now she can’t wait for us to leave for work every morning. If she gets her treat she doesn’t make a sound.

A few weeks ago we had a crazy snow storm and DH & I could not get home from work for about 16 hours. So I had called one of my neighbors and asked her to please take care of Shelby for us. This was the 1st time this had ever happened and her 1st time taking care of Shelby for us. Thank goodness she is a huge dog person and completely understood when I told her to make sure to give Shelby a treat before leaving. I think the average person would think I was crazy.

Hanne, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    F68FB935-2616-4EEC-AF8D-395597CA3936.jpeg Ok...
    just wanted a inject a bit of humor to your 16 hour time away due to snow...

Shelby's mom, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania