Bathing sheltie stunts coat growth?

yeah, i was thinking about that too, do you think maybe just using it on her frizzy dry pants then would prob be better?

Honestly, that's just how Sheltie pants are - harsh and "frizzy". You won't do any harm by putting leave-in on them to try to make them silky-soft, but I suspect it would be a rather losing proposition. Besides, that harsh texture really helps the coat repel dirt.
 
Yes. More product will attract more dirt, and hold more oil.

I was ransomly browsing through the thread and this caught my attention. Would this hold true using just a mousse that makes their ruff puffy and then of course the spray you use on the dog?

I don't use the mousse very often though. Only once in a blue moon. I need to check the expiration date on that stuff. :uhoh: I got it last Christmas and have used it twice. It's good stuff though. :yes:
 
I was ransomly browsing through the thread and this caught my attention. Would this hold true using just a mousse that makes their ruff puffy and then of course the spray you use on the dog?

I don't use the mousse very often though. Only once in a blue moon. I need to check the expiration date on that stuff. :uhoh: I got it last Christmas and have used it twice. It's good stuff though. :yes:

I would assume so. But don't worry too much about the expiration; as long as there's still propellant in the can, I don't think it's going to make anyone's hair fall out! :lol: We have some jars and pots that are positively ancient, but the stuff still works - it generally doesn't go bad (and if it does change in consistency or smell, you can throw it out).

I think it's funny how so many on the Forums really enjoy playing around with the products, especially the CC. I think of it as a necessary evil for getting a dog ring-ready, so I cannot imagine why anyone who didn't have to take the dog into the ring would want to bother. :winkgrin: My grooming kit here in NJ consists of a greyhound comb, a slicker, a pin-brush, straight and thinning shears, and a spray-bottle of water... oh, and a bottle of #1 All Systems cleansing shampoo I poured out of my mother's 5-gallon bulk bottle. It's just enough to keep a retired house-dog clean and neat.
 
When one lives near the Black Swamp of Sucking Death and has a sheltie named McKinley the Mess Maker, one has to buy relatively inexpensive shampoo and bathe at the very least bi weekly and in between there are a lot of half baths where the fur one gets only the under belly and the legs bathed!

I would love to have to only bathe him once a month.

And products! No use!

Your little girl is very pretty and has a lovely coat.
 
Inquiring minds want to know: What is a greyhound comb? :confused2:

It's just a metal comb, like this. I use the pin-brush to make my lines as I brush, and then comb the line through with the greyhound to really get all of the dead undercoat out. (I'll use the slicker in the same way, but to do the job thoroughly, I like the greyhound best.) Also good for picking out the hocks.
 
See, those are the kind of combs that the guy at the dog show suggested to Jennifer! :yes: I have the CC buttercomb. I wish I had waited and got one like that instead. She asked him what comb would be best for a sheltie, and he showed her one like that.
 
Emma has a birthday coming up. Maybe I should get her one of those combs instead of another hurl-a-ham.
 
Back
Top