Bentley hurt

Just got back.

Looks like it's just a mild muscle strain.

We did a snap test and it was negative, we took x-rays of his pelvis and hocks and there was nothing there.

The vet didn't feel anything off, and the only time Bentley showed a little resistance was around his pelvis when he extended him. This is exactly what the chiropractor told us 3 weeks ago, so it kind of makes sense.

However, he hasn't limped at all, and even after manipulation by the vet showed no lameness. (Vet agreed it wasn't anything to do with his knees or his the cruciate ligament, etc...)

We're going to keep an eye on him and he will be on strict crate rest (imposed by me, not the vet!) for at least a week, and then probably won't do agility for another week or two after that just to be safe. If we see anything funny after that we'll probably consult with an orthopedic vet--though it just seems like a muscle strain.

I wish we had a firm diagnosis--but it's good to know that it's nothing scary!
 
Good to hear its nothing serious.

Do you still have those peanuts to work them out on? Don't forget to strengthen and stretch out those muscles.

(I remembered to walk Koji so he's not super stiff tonight - agility after 4 weeks off should be interesting for the both of us)

Just curious if the doc suggested icing at all or anything like that.
 
Good to hear its nothing serious.

Do you still have those peanuts to work them out on? Don't forget to strengthen and stretch out those muscles.

(I remembered to walk Koji so he's not super stiff tonight - agility after 4 weeks off should be interesting for the both of us)

Just curious if the doc suggested icing at all or anything like that.

Good idea about the peanuts! I will give him a full week of nothing, then start working him on the peanuts with some short walks.

Doc didn't suggest icing--it was really hard to isolate one place or side that seemed to be bothering him. Just an overall soreness. He did give us some Rimadyl in case we felt like he needed it, but really seemed to think it was no big deal. Just to take it easy for a bit (though even he didn't suggest crate rest) and monitor him.
 
Good idea about the peanuts! I will give him a full week of nothing, then start working him on the peanuts with some short walks.

Doc didn't suggest icing--it was really hard to isolate one place or side that seemed to be bothering him. Just an overall soreness. He did give us some Rimadyl in case we felt like he needed it, but really seemed to think it was no big deal. Just to take it easy for a bit (though even he didn't suggest crate rest) and monitor him.

I was thinking....I meant to say after he's doing better, to do the peanut work. But I figure you know that already. ;)

Poor thing. He's just sore all over. Glad he's back to himself though. Don't hinder movement too much. I know when I'm stiff, it helps to move about (aka walk, not hop, climb, jump, run...but do dogs know that?).

Since I'm in the same boat as Bentley, let him know I understand. My shoulder was finally healing and now it hurts again. My elbow is doing better, but that's probably due to the cortisone shot. lol. I'm all messed up.
 
Good to hear there isn't anything seriously wrong with him. Sounds like the imposed down time was 'just what the doctor ordered'.
 
Just got back.

Looks like it's just a mild muscle strain.

We did a snap test and it was negative, we took x-rays of his pelvis and hocks and there was nothing there.

The vet didn't feel anything off, and the only time Bentley showed a little resistance was around his pelvis when he extended him. This is exactly what the chiropractor told us 3 weeks ago, so it kind of makes sense.

However, he hasn't limped at all, and even after manipulation by the vet showed no lameness. (Vet agreed it wasn't anything to do with his knees or his the cruciate ligament, etc...)

We're going to keep an eye on him and he will be on strict crate rest (imposed by me, not the vet!) for at least a week, and then probably won't do agility for another week or two after that just to be safe. If we see anything funny after that we'll probably consult with an orthopedic vet--though it just seems like a muscle strain.

I wish we had a firm diagnosis--but it's good to know that it's nothing scary!

I'm glad that no major injuries ie cruicate were found. I think your plan of strict rest and no agility are the right thing to do. Muscle injuries can be real prone to reinjury.The pain on extension is common with iliopsoas injuries and they chronic in a hurry. Take it easy and slow and maybe look into PT.

Hope Bentley feels better soon.
 
Back
Top