Best method for hands off weaves?

I'd tend to agree with Sharon...
Both of my girls have a love for the game, with speed and drive as well, and there was definitely luring involved. Both dogs enjoy to work with me. We are a team, and while they may not be MACH dogs, both are highly competitive, and WILL be MACH dogs. Athena is steadily inching toward that MACH. We are competitive with the areas top dogs.
Having to go back and retrain things for any dog isn't so much the method used as the work the handler puts into that method- how thorough they are, and all things trained must be maintained, regardless of the method used. Any method done well can be successful when the work is put in. It's more up to the individual dog and handler team as far as what works for each. Luring isn't for all. Clicker isn't for all.
I use a combination. There are a lot of things I do train with a clicker, but there are things I will teach with luring, or whatever other method works for me and my dogs. The dumbbell retrieve for competition obedience was something I taught with a clicker... not to mention the dozens of little behaviors I can get Athena to do through getting her to offer behaviors with clicker training. The weave poles however hasn't gone how I'd like with my three dogs needing to learn the weaves... so the combination of the 2x2s with the baskets has produced the best results for my dogs. No, they aren't having to think through how to do the poles entirely on their own, but they are learning to do them, and quite well at that.
I'm not wrong in not shaping the poles. The dogs may not have the choices they do when training strictly with 2x2, but they are learning entries, independence, footwork, and speed in the poles. The desire is so very clearly there. I can stand 20 feet across the yard, send them to the poles, and watch them zip through the poles eagerly. A dog with no desire to do the obstacle isn't going to weave how mine are weaving.
 
We've always used Channel weaves when they are young and moved onto weave a matics as they perfect them. Then if they ever have a problem with popping out you can just open them back up where the problem is and they figure it out.
 
Thank you all for those very helpful replies, I am now full of ideas, but I think I will start with channel weaves and then, depending on how we progress, add wires to get it right. I like the idea of the baskets, my only concern was if the dogs would become too reliant on them and find it hard to complete the weaves once they were gone?

Going to get a channel weave set up today for Merlin to start him off - still 4 months until we can do proper weaves.
 
We're training 2x2 method and I'm so happy about the results. It seems my dog really understand what's his job and we just started. We're using four poles so far, mainly concentrating on entry from different angles, but he seems to have a great drive and what surprised me the most - during one training session, he wouldn't get it right, he didn't hit the entry and then.... i found out that it was all me, trying to lure him. Once I took a two steps back and run towards slalom with him by my side, BUT w/o any attempts to show him where he's supposed to go, he got it right away. It amazed me that he was actually looking for independence instead of me being there leading him. Soon we're going to add 5th&6th pole, but seeing him I don't think it's gonna be any troubles. Our trainer stated that she wouldn't use any method since now on. Though, you can't take it literally because every dog is different.:yes:
 
With the baskets, you gradually wean them off of the use of them. Once they are driving through them, and hitting entries well, you start removing the inner baskets, working until the dog is solid on all poles with entries, crosses, distance, etc.
From what I've seen, the baskets don't create dogs that are forever reliant on them.
 
We're training 2x2 method and I'm so happy about the results. It seems my dog really understand what's his job and we just started. We're using four poles so far, mainly concentrating on entry from different angles, but he seems to have a great drive and what surprised me the most - during one training session, he wouldn't get it right, he didn't hit the entry and then.... i found out that it was all me, trying to lure him. Once I took a two steps back and run towards slalom with him by my side, BUT w/o any attempts to show him where he's supposed to go, he got it right away. It amazed me that he was actually looking for independence instead of me being there leading him. Soon we're going to add 5th&6th pole, but seeing him I don't think it's gonna be any troubles. Our trainer stated that she wouldn't use any method since now on. Though, you can't take it literally because every dog is different.:yes:

we had similar experience with Che
 
I used weave-o-matics style poles to train Bailey.

Unless you are training multiple times a week at your training facility, I would suggest buying a cheap set of weave poles. I don't think Bailey would've learned so fast if she only trained weave poles once a week in class.

I bought a cheap 6 pole set on ebay for $30.
 
Back
Top