Best tool for doing nails?

Awesome that this post comes along. My old pet dremel just died and I am in need of buying a new one so now I don't have to search for the thread.

Oh Barb, I got Diva's tail stuck in the dremel once too. She is stubborn as a mule about getting her nails done and she actually mule kicked me and made my hand fly into her tail.:eek2: She also yanked her front foot back once too and whipped her head around while knocking into my hand and I got it stuck in her hair behind her ears. :mad: She is so naughty. I taught her from a little bitty baby too. 1x a week since 8 wks and still she acts like this.

I can't trim her nails by myself(and I'm darn good at nails) with a clipper or she'll threaten to bite me and squirrel all around the table and squeal dramaticly. She has never been quiked either. The dremel is a god's send. My other dogs stand like statues ,trained the same way. Diva isn't named Prima Donna for nothing.:rolleyes2:
 
Dr Shelli, try the method Connie uses that Ann mentioned. It works great and they cant move. I use it on all of mine and Noah is STRONG and still cant move away...granted I have to make sure my feet are pressing against a wall so he cant wiggle out because I have short legs :). Just flip them on their back and put them in between your legs with their head at your feet and they cant move.
 
I thought I had read on another thread that there are different size sanders depending on the work you want to do, etc. Are the sanders a one size fits all breeds of dogs?
 
I thought I had read on another thread that there are different size sanders depending on the work you want to do, etc. Are the sanders a one size fits all breeds of dogs?

The Stylus 1100 was not actually designed for doing dog nails, but the ergonomic design of the tool is ideal for doing dog's nails. The 1100 has several sized rotaters. I use the smallest one.

The only other thing to consider is how fine a sander you want. It doesn't matter which dremmel you use to make that decision.

I sure wish I can find the thread where I posted the link to the dremmel site for this. After I found what grade to buy, I bought a supply, but stupidly threw away the package, so I don't know what grade I'm using. And I'm also in need of replenishing, so it seems I have to research again.
 
Dr Shelli, try the method Connie uses that Ann mentioned. It works great and they cant move. I use it on all of mine and Noah is STRONG and still cant move away...granted I have to make sure my feet are pressing against a wall so he cant wiggle out because I have short legs :). Just flip them on their back and put them in between your legs with their head at your feet and they cant move.

I discovered that technique many moons ago with Jazz(JRT mix) out of sheer desparation. She was the worst but I didn't get her as a pup. 3 men and a small boy couldn't hold her for a regular clipper(she would bite too and need to be muzzled) but first time I tried a dermel she just laid there. Go figure.:lol: That was almost 18 yrs ago and I have used a dermel ever since.

I do it with Diva too but I still get alot of drama in the form of kicking feet.:mad: Other times I just hook her up to the grooming arm just a bit higher than normal. Either way she is a pain.:rolleyes2:
 
Barb, yes I didn't know the word for it...I was referring to the "rotater". I thought I read it was like 1/4" or something for doing smaller dogs. Thank you! It's definitely the dremmel I'm going to get.
 
My 2 cents

I have to say - I've used the peticure plus- the bigger one for years and LOVE it. It's actually pretty strong and quick and my shelties sit still for it.
 
I have to say - I've used the peticure plus- the bigger one for years and LOVE it. It's actually pretty strong and quick and my shelties sit still for it.

I have the Pedicure Plus but I always found it "under-powered"....it was fine when my pups were young and their nails soft; but as soon as they hit about 12 months old, it was useless. I would grind forever; and the boys would time out on the process.
 
Back
Top