Best tool for doing nails?

LOL Barb, poor Indy! I can honestly say I've never done that with the Dremel, although I've forgotten that I'm holding other things in my hands.

I've never had a problem with my dogs fur getting stuck in it. I did get paranoid and tried putting a piece of panty hose over their feet, and that DID get caught in the Dremel.

He was NOT impressed, and I had to train him on the dremmel all over again, starting from scratch. :rolleyes2:
 
Haha funny story BarbV! Poor puppy tho! Time isn't really an issue for me as I really enjoy taking the time to make my dogs comfortable and "in order". If I hear clicking on my hard wood floors, I trim them. Not only do I cut their nails, but since clipping the nail still leaves sharp edges, I file each nail with a nail file....and this takes FOREVER! Sounds like the dromel will be less time consuming than my method. And I may just splurge and get the stylus. I also cut my cats nails and file them as well (yes I'm crazy). But it saves my furniture when I'm not at home to discipline them. What about all the attachments that come with the stylus? Are those all included or just for show?
 
I used to use a Resco nail trimmer for at least 20 years (egads, I'm showing my age!;-) and I switched to a Dremel Stylus in January. I LOVE it. My sheltie girl's nails look great and she doesn't mind nail trimming with the Dremel at all! She lays on her side and is so relaxed.

The only close call I had with the Dremel was I caught my hair and it wrapped around the sanding drum soooo quickly!! Scared the beeeeegeeegus out of me! Now I wear a ponytail!
 
I also use the stylus...I have to admit though mine gets alot of use and after 3 or 4 years now its starting to show its age (either that or I need to completely disassemble it and clean it out), I may end up having to invest in another soon, but in the end it is well worth it and feels great in your hand and is very comfortable. I can do 4 dogs a sitting (after that the battery starts to drain) and my hands are not cramped or sore.
 
Ok, I'm sold. Stylus it is. Just one question though-what size tool should I use on it? The 1/4 inch? I've never used something like this-how long do the bits last?
 
I use a dremmel and love it, will have to look into the one Barb uses though. I find it hard to get those feet in the postion. I have Mark hold them and that helps.
I have caught Maggie's tail before-- yikes. Once to I was showing a freind how to do it and got her dogs tail caught. Now those tails are tucked safely away.
It sure makes it easier that clipping and now more bleeding toe nails-which is a great plus.
 
I have the same dremmel as Barb and absolutely love it. It took some getting used to, and wasn't easy until I found the perfect position to put the dog in. Missjennygirl taught me to sit on the floor, flip the pup over on her back between your legs and brace them with your legs (I put a dog bed cushion under them) and surprisingly, once you've got them there, they're still and pretty good, especially once they get used to it.

Now, I brush tummies while they're there and trim the fur between their pads too. It's very efficient and much easier!
 
I have the same dremmel as Barb and absolutely love it. It took some getting used to, and wasn't easy until I found the perfect position to put the dog in. Missjennygirl taught me to sit on the floor, flip the pup over on her back between your legs and brace them with your legs (I put a dog bed cushion under them) and surprisingly, once you've got them there, they're still and pretty good, especially once they get used to it.

Now, I brush tummies while they're there and trim the fur between their pads too. It's very efficient and much easier!

I think I will have to try your technique with Mikos because he is really fidgety during nail and feet trimming (and tummy brushing). The breeder who taught me how to groom him said that each dog will have 1 foot that is ticklish or sensitive but I think he has 4.:biggrin2:
 
Indy will let me groom him in this position, but Bacca only goes on his back when HE says!

When it comes to doing feet, I find the best time is when the boys are already half-crashed for the night....which means me too, btw.....I like to do their feet on my bed. I prop up my cushions, turn on the TV, lay out an old sheet and go at 'er.

As for which tool to use with the dremmel....I'm not sure what you mean by the 1/4 inch tool. The bigger to me is what grade of sander to use. I'm trying to find the info that I used to buy the right grades, but no luck as yet. Of course, I discarded the packaging for my supply.

And somewhere I found instructions on the Dremel site that were pretty detailed. I can't find them again, but I think I posted them here at one time. (I'm useless when it comes to searching!) Maybe someone else can find it again.
 
Back
Top