Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Black changing to brown

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Lexi, May 28, 2018.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    90% of the sheltie show grooming isn't technically legal but everyone does it........

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Isn't that something! I always thought it was a bit of an old wives' tale, but maybe that's your trouble.

My story is that back in the 70's, my great-uncle who bred Siberians was given a year's supply of a newly formulated kibble as a promotion. It turned all 30+ of his black dogs red... turned out that the food contained beet pulp. Needless to say, he switched the dogs back to their prior diet.

Any chance you can eliminate the beet pulp and see if that improves things?

3. Lexi

Lexi Forums Enthusiast

May 1, 2015
    Europe
    So for a few weeks she has been off the beet pulp but I don't see any changes yet. But I will keep trying:smile2:. Everybody has been asking me if I feed her beet pult that she is so brown because they have experience with this on their dogs..

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    You probably won't see changes for a while. The reddish hair has to grow out and new coat grow back in. Have you tried using Chris Christensen's black on black shampoo? That really helps my bi-black when she starts getting a little "red" due to the sun.

5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Skylar's food does not contain beet pulp. I really think this is just the color her hair is.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie's fur became brownish every summer and black again when she changed coat.

I have thought about this thread several times
    -because after switching feed and this year we have had a very unusual summer with 3 months of constant sun and we live by the beach, Minnie's coat color is still deep black :confused2:

I do not know - but maybe the food -anyway- have something to say.:wink2:

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Ever since I've been feeding Piper raw (1 1/2 years now) his brown has turned a dark rich almost black. I always thought it was just his adult coat but could have something to do with diet.

8. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    My dogs both eat the same food, and are outside in sunny Florida the same amount - but Spirit's coat is most definitely black and white, and Skylar's is more like a very deep brown - even though they are both technically tri-colors. So there must be some other factors than food happening here.

Hanne likes this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Could it perhaps have something to do with how different dogs absorbing their food ??

just a thought - right now, when Minnie thrives so well with her new feed
    - maybe it just contains what she needs - at this time in her life :wink2:

Cara Sandler likes this.
  10. Cara Sandler

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    It could be. I just think that Skylar's coat is not as deep black as spirit's is naturally. Her mother is a sable so maybe there is some kind of mixed dominance happening, even though I know sable is dominant over tri, generally.

Hanne likes this.