Bladder cancer in Shelties

Melissatori

Forums Novice
I found out on Saturday that my angel has bladder and prostrate cancer. I am totally destroyed by this news. I don't want him to suffer. Any thoughts on surgery and chemo/radiation? My dog is almost 10. I want to do the right thing for him, I just don't know what the right thing is. Thank you for any input. :-(
 
So sorry to hear that you and your angel boy are going through all of this.

Both of you are in my prayers.

I do not have any information for you on those cancers you mentioned.

Hopefully, one or more of our forum members will have some insight for you.
 
I'm so verry sorry you and your baby boy are going though this difficult time:cry:. I really have no experience with cancer in dogs. But if one of my dogs had it and it was treatable I would do chemo in a heartbeat. Keep us updated on your boys condition, he is going on my prayer list. Happy healing thoughts are going your way.:hugs
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup's diagnosis. I don't have experience with prostrate cancer in a dog, but we lost our Ivy several years ago to bladder cancer. She was diagnosed after a biopsy that was taken when she didn't respond to treatment for what we thought was a bladder infection.

Ivy was also 10 at the time. My vet offered me several options: chemo and radiation were included, but I know how tough they can be on dogs, which he confirmed, so we opted to treat her with medication instead, which I gave her daily. It did make her more comfortable, and other than having to go out more often, she was quite herself for more than six months.

I know that doesn't seem like a long time, but it was preferable to us to have her happy and normal for six months than to have her undergo treatments that would make her sicker to keep her for a bit longer. When it became clear that she was uncomfortable, we said goodbye to her. It is never easy to make this decision, and each pet owner has to decide what is right for them and their beloved pet. Be sure to ask your vet to describe all the available options to you so you can make an informed decision.

If we can help you through this difficult journey, we're here. Sending you hugs and special pats to your boy. :hugs
 
Prayers for you and your angel. Good advice from someone who has been through this. Make sure your find out all the options for treatment and keeping him comfy. And don't hesitate to keep him comfy. Enjoy every moment with your sweetie. :hugs
 
Welcome to the forum Melissatori. Ia so sorry to hear of the cancer diagnosis for your Sheltie. That is a terrible thing to hear and deal with. So far, I have not had to face anything that serious with my furbabies. You both will be in my thoughts.
 
Bladder cancer

My sweet angel Bambi crossed the Bridge in '09, having been diagnosed with a form of stomach cancer. I opted not for surgery as she was 11 1/2 and I didn't want to put any more on her that she was all ready dealing with. As others have said, only you and your vet can decide the best course of action for you and your furbaby. Your baby will tell you when the time is right to say goodbye. I am sending many thoughts and prayers to you and your baby. I wish for you many more long happy days with your baby.

__________________
Bambi, my sweet baby
Crossed the Bridge in my arms: 3/9/98 - 9/28/09
 
Back
Top