Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Blue Buffalo experiences?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Cowgirl32, May 5, 2014.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My vet pushed Royal Canin GI food for Liam because it is only 5%fat. I refused - I did my research and settled on Blue with Life Source. What you have to do is do your research, figure out what you can afford, and then make your choice based of what you have decided. If I couldn't afford Blue and the 30 lb bag didn't last me 7-8 weeks, I would likely look at another food.

Food is definitely a passionate subject around here - but it is your dog and your pocketbook.

2. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I feed Blue Buffalo for both Hanna and my new kitty - the lawsuit is troubling inthat the claim is that Blue Buffalo actually contains some of the very ingredients they say aren't in the food. They do sub contract the manufacturing, so I hope the lawsuit groundless. That said my gals are doing well on it - so what do you do?

3. Cowgirl32

Cowgirl32 Forums Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    South Carolina
    I know! My girl, Jasmine, does great on Blue Buffalo that's why I'm switching the pup over to the puppy wilderness formula.

4. Cowgirl32

Cowgirl32 Forums Regular

Mar 1, 2014
    South Carolina
    Blue Buffalo Update

I switched over to BB puppy freedom formula. My little guy, Gabe, had tearing going on in his eyes. The vet was a little concerned and she asked me to try a grain free type food. She felt that warmer weather would help with any dry/cold tearing. After 2 weeks on their grain free, no more tearing!!! :hugs :eek2:

5. Cyllian

Cyllian Forums Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Prefer acana here Fox had trouble with wilderness he liked it well enough but very runny stools. Jester could eat it no trouble but it was not his preference. He likes the Acana better if he eats the kibble. He is picky thing.

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Just an aside -- Purina One Urinary Tract is AS good on urinary stones as Science Diet CD for much much much cheaper (like 1/4 the cost). Cats to fine on it. A little grainy, but so is the SD CD.

Shay is doing well on the TOTW Puppy Bison -- less calories, fat, and protein. Melli is doing well on it and dropping ounce by ounce slowly.

7. roxyllsk

roxyllsk Forums Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    My first sheltie had stomach issues with just about everything, so I cooked for him. Only meat he could tolerate was ground beef. EVERYTHING else gave him the runs. So he got ground beef (boiled and drained), hard boiled eggs, brown rice, and green beans.

I tried switching Sheltie #2 and Sheltie #3 to Blue Buffalo 2 times. I switched over a period of 2 weeks, a little at a time. When I got to about 50/50, they both got diarrhea. So gave them more old food and less BB, waiting for the trots to improve, then slowly tried switching them again. No good. I think it's just too rich for them.

I have Sheltie #3 or Wellness Super 5 Chicken/Oatmeal, with a dollop of Wellness chicken and sweet potato canned. The puppy is on Puppy Pro Plan. Tried switching her to the Wellness puppy, and that didn't go well. It has Salmon in it, maybe she's sensitive to that ? So she's on ProPlan. I'll try her on the Super 5 chicken when she's a year old.

My friends have their rotties on it and they look great. But, they also eat dead stuff that the cat kills and don't have tummy issues. :rolleyes2: :ick Not that BB has leftover cat kill in it, but those dogs have cast iron stomachs.