First, breeding just for the sake of breeding isn't a good idea. The reason to breed should be to better the breed... not just to bring more puppies into the world.
Things to ask yourself before breeding your dog:
What reason am I wanting to breed? Money? Because puppies are cute? Bettering the breed?
Is my dog a good example of the breed standard?
Could he finish a conformation championship if he were shown?
Am I willing to do all of the testing involved to ensure I'm producing healthy puppies?
What virtues and faults does my dog have?
Do I know all of the risks involved in breeding?
Breeding is not something to be taken lightly. If you have a dog that meets the standard, and you are breeding to better the breed, you want to make sure to test both the stud and the bitch's hips, eyes, thyroid, and for vwd, at a minimum. MDR1, heart, elbows, and CEA can also be tested for. You're probably going to be looking at at least $500 in testing per dog (depending on your area).
I would also recommend NOT breeding a dog until it is 2 years old. Hips can only be prelimed prior to 2. You can not get hips permanently done until the dog is 2 years old.
Also, unless your dog was sold as a show prospect from a show breeder, it is unlikely this dog is truly breeding quality. The only way dogs are sold on full registration with no stipulations whatsoever is by backyard breeders who's goal is NOT bettering the breed/breeding to the standard. Show breeders who sell a puppy who is not show quality sell on limited registration.
I know, what I'm saying probably is not what you wanted, but it did need to be said. Breeding is not something to do just to have a litter of puppies.
I kind of cringe when I see these threads because I'm one of those non-breeders that is considering breeding my dog. It was kind of cool to see the bullet list from HopeShelties and realize that I was on the right side of each point. I'm a long ways away from making the final descision but at least I know I'm starting in the right direction. With my friend Mike to help me, I'm sure that I'll do what's best for myself, my Deja and the breed in the end.

