Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Brodie's injured

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Sandy in CT, May 3, 2021.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thank you for your reply!!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I second those who've suggested Lyme. There are twice as many ticks out as normal this year, and so many dogs (and people) are getting it. Even with the swollen joint, it could be Lyme. It's too bad you can't get a temp, although they don't always run one.

Mine don't get the Lyme vaccine. I used it years ago and my dogs still got Lyme. I don't think it's worth it. We have our yard sprayed by Tick Ranger which uses a natural solution safe for pets and people and we haven't seen a single tick so far this year. I hope Brodie improves soon and your vet is able to diagnose him quickly.

Sandy in CT, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Thank you for your response Ann! Currently icing the joint on and off, Hubby has the other two on the opposite side of the house.

We use Bartlett here, also a natural based treatment.

Not putting any weight at all tonight, a 3 legged hobble.my poor baby!!!!!!

Sharon7, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Hope he's better in the morning! Hurt puppies are the worst :(

5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie had her first lyme vaccine a week ago and will go for her second shot in two weeks. I've read its 80 percent effective and our vet recommended it for her because she had lyme just recently, she's fine now. Sandstorm got his vaccine years ago and gets his boosters annually. We also use frontline, but that isn't enough protection

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    A bit of an update although not much news. Saw the vet, she gave me an option of anti-inflammatory and wait to see but I opted for xrays and a Lyme's test - annual heartworm while they're at it since he's close to due. She said there is no break, she sees some soft tissue swelling but nothing crazy. His 'wrist' joint is very stiff - said dogs should be able to almost touch their legs with their front paws but his are quite stiff. She said might be Lyme's, might be a touch of arthritis in the joint. He is hobbling on 3 legs, does use it to stand on to pee, poo and actually ran for our deck when we got home because Kooper and Deacon where out on it and he went up 4 stairs.

She gave me Gabapentin for pain relief and Meloxidyl for an anti-inflammatory. I will get results from the Lyme's panel tomorrow. They run Cornell's Multiplex test.

On a positive note - Brodie weighed in at 19.8 lbs. 15 months ago, he was a VERY pudgy 26 lbs 12 oz, believe it or not! He might be the only being in existence loosing weight during Corona Lockdowns! He gets 3/4 of a cup of Fromm Adult Gold per day; 1/4 in the morning and 1/2 at night. We've cut out almost all treats except for homemade chicken liver bits, a Mother Hubbard mini biscuit before bed, the 'must have' bully stick but only one or two a week and I've ben using BowWow Labs waggy wafers as special treats. They are 12 calories a treat, but I split the treat into at least 8 pieces so he's getting about 1.5 calories each treat, less if I split into smaller pieces. The salmon and chicken have pea fiber in them which I am not a fan of; the turkey does not. They are supposedly made of REAL meat and at least the salmon one smells as if it does.

Deacon is NOT a happy camper being kept at bay from Brodie. Brodie is quite happy with the attention and being spoiled...

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Hope you can get to the bottom of it with the labs and know one way or the other. My vet told me years ago Shelties are prone to arthritis in their wrists - Faith's definitely won't bend back as far as they should, but Brodie is awfully young for that issue!

Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Agreed! And not in his bloodlines. And he's been on a joint supplement since 6 months of age. Befuddled. We have had him in agility and he is active and crazy and love frisbee, etc. but we have always been careful about heights of jumps - never what he can do always low and just high enough where he gets enjoyment. He gets lots of walks and like I said, my guy has lost weight - a good amount of it too! We NEVER exercise him on frozen ground. He is crazy, literally crazy, about running and jumping in snow. Like I said, befuddled....

Was reading up on Green Lipped Mussel which is already in his supplement, but I might get extra and add more in - not until he improves though and I read up a bit more on it.

Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Late to this thread, but glad your vet saw Brodie. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not lyme!! :fl

Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.