Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Car Sickness

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by SRW, Oct 9, 2018 at 4:30 PM.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    UGH, I used to have bad motion sickness myself so your description of your road made me remember that! Unfortunately Eli also is nauseous or anxious in the car as well. He is very restless and drools. Front or back, doesn't make a difference. We usually only go a few miles, and it's to a place where we take a nice walk, so I dunno if he'll ever outgrow it. We tried ginger and rescue remedy, and neither one helped. Eli is 1 1/2.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How did it go yesterday?

Just to let you know... my new puppy Liam would throw up bile overnight at about 3-4 in the morning for two weeks straight. I thought I would have to take him to the vet as he was sick!

Ann helped me out by suggesting that I feel him a little snack before bed! That did the trick! If your pup did not have any food for a long time, apparently it can cause him to throw up! Liam’s last feeding for the day was 4:00. I was thinking the earlier I fed him he could relieve himself before bedtime so I could get a full night sleep! It backfired in a big way!

A snack before bed did the trick!

3. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018

He didn't throw up either way, which is great! I was really worried about the return trip because, even though I hadn't fed him since 10am., in the class of course you have to give them a small treat every time they do something you want them to, and he ended up getting about 40 small treats which just about equals a full meal. On the way home I drove as gingerly as possible and actually got honked at by someone following me up the winding two lane roads near my house because I was going about 10 miles slower than the speed limit. :wideyed::wideyed:

Now I have try to figure out why he threw up Monday and Tuesday in the car, and not Wednesday (unless it's because if I'm not thinking about it I subconsciously pretend I'm Mario Andretti in my SUV :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: ).

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    When my3 yr old Piper was a pup he'd throw up occasionally (and was never stressed) in the car. He hasn't done it since he was a year. Many do outgrow it.

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's funny you mention that Gloria, Piper was the exact same! I did take him to the vet (it went on for 5 days in a row at least) and it was too much stomach acid. She put him on a Pepcid ac for 1 week as well as the equivalent of pepto bismal. I like Ann's idea better though.

ghggp likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    “I like Ann's idea better though.”

Initially, I thought he would always have this problem, throwing up overnight, which scared me! What a simple fix and the problem never cropped up again. Kinda like the left eye which kept tearing! I though he might have that problem too for his lifetime!

Funny how these are puppy issues they grow out of! Still, it scares us new puppy owners! Once again, I am so grateful for all the good directions we get from our more experienced SN members! Thanks Ann!!!

Piper's mom likes this.