Cassie's misfortune with grooming :(

We recently had a groomer here who was sentenced to 2 weeks jail time coz he whacked a poor maltese (I think) on the head for making it difficult to groom him. The dog was shaved down and died within the hour at the groomers. I don't know if the groomer shaved it after it died or what. I think the maltese may have acted aggressively towards the groomer but any responsible groomer would simply turn down the customer and refuse to groom the dog. The dog's owners are devastated - they had a regular groomer but it was closed and took the dog to this guy for the first time.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't cut the fur in the paws too close to the skin as it can cause itching?

I would rather not shave my dog. I'll comb him out every day and take out as much of the dead undercoat as possible to keep him cool, but I won't shave him. He's too pretty with all the fur and I think he knows it. :lol:
 
2 weeks - should longer. I hope he has been banned from working with animals. He must have hit that dog hard. And frankly, dogs bite when they are scared, any groomer should know that and have strategies for dealing with it.

A dog was discovered dead in a crate at the groomers in Aust last month and the owners are still fighting for the groomer to own up (the groomer didnt even notice it died - the owners did when they picked it up).

After Deska's disaster of having his mane shaved off I have steered clear of groomers. I would love to take him to get all the winter coat out when it gets warmer but I am too scared of what could happen - none of them seem to let you stay and watch, except the mobile washes but my local ones arent really set up for double coated breeds.
 
I was appalled at the light sentence too. Not sure if he has been banned. He was not at all apologetic and had actually lied to the owners about what happened (basically that the dog just suddenly died).

Caro, looks like you need a furminator for Christmas! :wink2: Line brushing with the furminator works wonders. You should check out GeeRome's youtube video on how to do it. And see the results too!
 
Hi K9creationz, my hubby took Cassie to the doctor today for the follow-up appointment and was told that Cassie was fine. Her paws are still a little red, but dr. is not concerned.

I will be afraid to bring Cassie to that salon again. Like I said we were referred to the mobile groomer and we intend to try it next time. We will watch her working which is a good think.

I think you'r right - to shave their legs is too dangerous. Another reason we do a haircut for Cassie is that we can not tell her weight due to much fur. :)
 
I was appalled at the light sentence too. Not sure if he has been banned. He was not at all apologetic and had actually lied to the owners about what happened (basically that the dog just suddenly died).

Caro, looks like you need a furminator for Christmas! :wink2: Line brushing with the furminator works wonders. You should check out GeeRome's youtube video on how to do it. And see the results too!

Hi..just me popping in here. What thread would I find that video link? Thank you~
 
We recently had a groomer here who was sentenced to 2 weeks jail time coz he whacked a poor maltese (I think) on the head for making it difficult to groom him. The dog was shaved down and died within the hour at the groomers. I don't know if the groomer shaved it after it died or what. I think the maltese may have acted aggressively towards the groomer but any responsible groomer would simply turn down the customer and refuse to groom the dog. time. =QUOTE]

Isn't that a shame? that groomer should never work with the animals. :no: I think also that 2 weeks sentence is too light. It's like he almost feel unpunished. :( Of course he had to have a strategy to deal with a scared dog, no doubt about it. :( What a cruel human nature!!!
 
Back
Top