Cassie's misfortune with grooming :(

Oh my goodness. :( I hope Cassie gets well soon and I hope you can find a new groomer you can trust.

I got very lucky with my groomer. She's a good friend of my breeder and she also breeds Shelties herself. With all the horror stories I hear about groomers and Shelties the more I realize how lucky I am to live fairly close to this groomer.
 
I am so sorry for Cassie. I gave up on groomers after too many grooming errors. I went a brought a dog dryer instead. I have tried mobile groomers - and the good thing is you can stay and watch the whole thing and that will be comforting for her after this recent experience, shelties have long memories. Unfortunately though the mobile groomers dont tend to be set up for long hair dogs so the dogs are still a bit damp and they dont get much undercoat out or manage behind the ears. Its ok though if you are happy to do more grooming yourself after the wash.
 
Poor Cassie and Mom.

They obviously must not have sterilized the blades in between groomings. Sorry for the bad experience and hope Cassie mends both physically and emotionally.:wink2:
 
What a terrible experience for you and Cassie! Your groomer should really reimburse you for your vet expenses too! I hope she heals quickly and feels better soon.
 
I've heard so many horror stories about bad groomer experiences. :no: The one I've read most often is that a lot of shelties end of shaved.

I tend to be a bit of a hag when people don't treat my dog like he's the best thing in the world. That's why I'm reading up on sheltie grooming so I can most of the work myself. Did they do a good job on the actual grooming part? It really would add insult to injury if they did a bad job on top of giving your dog an infection!
 
More and more, I realize how lucky I am that my first "real" job was in a grooming salon. I worked for two old ladies who were really outstanding. They taught me how to brush, wash and groom -- mostly poodles, but some cockers, schnauzers, and a plethora of mutts. (They also taught me how to smoke and swear, but that's another story!) :lol:

So I do all my own grooming -- and I err on the "less is more" side. I think some groomers think that since they charge a lot, the have to do a lot. With Shelties, it's mostly a matter of brushing, washing and tidying. :yes:
 
Last edited:
I am so sorry for Cassie. I gave up on groomers after too many grooming errors. I went a brought a dog dryer instead. I have tried mobile groomers - and the good thing is you can stay and watch the whole thing and that will be comforting for her after this recent experience, shelties have long memories. Unfortunately though the mobile groomers dont tend to be set up for long hair dogs so the dogs are still a bit damp and they dont get much undercoat out or manage behind the ears. Its ok though if you are happy to do more grooming yourself after the wash.

I hear you Caro. Thank you very much. I will consider it. :) I AM afraid she will be dreadful of grooming now.
:(
 
More and more, I realize how lucky I am that my first "real" job was in a grooming salon. I worked for two old ladies who were really outstanding. They taught me how to brush, wash and groom -- mostly poodles, but some cockers, schnauzers, and a plethora of mutts. (They also taught me how to smoke and swear, but that's another story!) :lol:

So I all my own grooming -- and I err on the "less is more" side. I think some groomers think that since they charge a lot, the have to do a lot. With Shelties, it's mostly a matter of brushing, washing and tidying. :yes:

Hi Chris, I am hoping in my heart that a new mobile groomer woman will listen to us what we want her to do, and she will be very careful. We will definitely watch her working, at least the first few months. In that grooming salon (PetsSmart) there are different groomers do the work. :( I agree with you about
"...some groomers think that since they charge a lot, the have to do a lot ...". They better not charge $74 and do a better job. :(
Thank you Chris.
 
I've heard so many horror stories about bad groomer experiences. :no: The one I've read most often is that a lot of shelties end of shaved.

I tend to be a bit of a hag when people don't treat my dog like he's the best thing in the world. That's why I'm reading up on sheltie grooming so I can most of the work myself. Did they do a good job on the actual grooming part? It really would add insult to injury if they did a bad job on top of giving your dog an infection!

So true Smudge! :( I agree. Thank you. Cassie still licks her wounded paws but she is not chewing on them intensively any more.
 
What a terrible experience for you and Cassie! Your groomer should really reimburse you for your vet expenses too! I hope she heals quickly and feels better soon.

Hi Ann, it was a real distress for all of us. I could not stand seeing her chewing her paws so intensively and non-stop. :(
No, the salon will not reimburse for the vet charges. It would be great though. At least they reimbursed for the grooming.
We have a pet insurance. They pay 80-85% of the charge.

Thank you Ann.
 
Back
Top