Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Changes after spaying

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Lexi, Apr 19, 2018.

1. atjl

atjl Forums Novice

Apr 7, 2018
    Thanks for posting this thread and everyone for their answers! This was the reassurance I needed since I was planning to get Izzy spayed soon, since she is about to turn 6 months old soon... Was worried but it seems like there's nothing to be overly stressed about :)

2. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We got our sheltie spayed at around 6 months, and she continued being her wonderful active self, we saw no personality changes. With my border mix we waited until her first heat at 1 1/2, and I will tell you the hormones from that heat really did a number on her. She became very territorial, and aggressive towards our sheltie and our cats. We got her fixed as soon as possible after that happened, and in a few months she was back to normal, but it left her with fearful aggression with strange dogs. I will always try to spay before the first heat now.

There are concerns about spaying before the bone system and ligaments and tendons are fully grown, so you might want to check with your vet to make sure your girl is fully developed, some studies have shown a connection between early fixing and hip dysplacia and tears..

3. petdoors

petdoors Forums Regular

Jun 19, 2018
    Hi there,

My Sheltie/Poodle mix got spayed recently and for the first month she was super anti social, eating more, lazy ect. After the first month she started to perk up. Shelties are active dogs, and at my moms house she would use the dog door to go in and out when she wanted and it helped relieve the anxiety she was experiencing. That might be something to consider.