Chews

Ta da
http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-toys/himalayan-dog-chew.html

I usually get the large. Like I said the boy was rolling a inch chuck around in his mouth(he is a goof and lays upside) and I took that away as I had vision of it getting stuck sideways. But maybe your dog will stay upright.:smile2:

haha! Olive is not an 'upright' dog. She favors laying on her back and chewing, sleeping, whatever. She is the first sheltie I've had that does this. I've seen so many pictures of 'back layers' and always thought they were funny. Now I have my very own!:lol: About how long do the large ones last? Olive is what I would call an 'average' chewer.
 
haha! Olive is not an 'upright' dog. She favors laying on her back and chewing, sleeping, whatever. She is the first sheltie I've had that does this. I've seen so many pictures of 'back layers' and always thought they were funny. Now I have my very own!:lol: About how long do the large ones last? Olive is what I would call an 'average' chewer.

The last one lasted bout a week or so with 4 shelties munching on it at various times(mostly Birch and Diva) I buy it for Birch mostly because he is sooo bored in the evenings after the sun goes down but the other sneak it away. I know he alone chewed on it for 5 nights atleast. I would called Birch an avg chewer. Diva is slightly greater than avg but not a power chewer so things don't last as long with her.
 
Just got one today. Its a keeper! Julip LOVES it! And barely made a dent in it after an hour, so it really will last too. Got her the medium (as the large was $20 here!) Its at least 4 inches long, but 1 inch thick! A very solid chew!

It also goes by Everest Chew here (although it says made in the USA) on the bag.

http://www.thisandthatcanineco.com/

I asked for a Himalayan Chew & she looked at me like I was crazy, so I started to explain what it was made of & as soon as I said Yak's milk, she goes, oh I know what you mean!

Thanks for the tip Sheltie Forum! :biggrin2:
 
Maybe you can find them cheaper online? I paid $11 for a pack of 3 small ones. Of course, I'm in the US. But I'm glad Julip likes it!
 
Just a note about bully sticks - there's a huge difference in quality available. I always go for odor free (essentially they're dried longer - I've got a really sensitive nose and I can't smell a thing), and I prefer the thick ones. My dogs were going through bully sticks in a ridiculous amount of time (a few hours), so I went from store to store and we've finally found a brand we're happy with. I bought two bully sticks 5 weeks ago, and there's still half of one left. If you don't like the ones you've tried, it's a good idea to check out some other stores.

Starr and Seren like the Himalayan Chews as well - but they're too expensive. I did notice that they sell them at Clean Run for a more reasonable price, however.
 
Just a note about bully sticks - there's a huge difference in quality available. I always go for odor free (essentially they're dried longer - I've got a really sensitive nose and I can't smell a thing), and I prefer the thick ones. My dogs were going through bully sticks in a ridiculous amount of time (a few hours), so I went from store to store and we've finally found a brand we're happy with. I bought two bully sticks 5 weeks ago, and there's still half of one left. If you don't like the ones you've tried, it's a good idea to check out some other stores.

Just curious--do you know the name of the brand of odorless bully sticks? We used to use them but then we got one that smelled HORRIBLE, I'm afraid to buy another!
 
I just wanted people to know, I got an Elk Antler for Birch at the show this weekend. It was about an 1 1/2" in diameter and about 6 " long. It was split so the softer middle was more easily gotten to. The dogs really like it better than the whole antler. It wears down quicker but still lasts a long long time. Birch and Diva have now chewed on it for 8 hours and there is wear on both ends but thats it.

Best part for me I posted about it on FB and my cousin saw it and getting me a bunch of Elk Antlers from her parents farm(they raise Elk) Woo hoo.
 
Just curious--do you know the name of the brand of odorless bully sticks? We used to use them but then we got one that smelled HORRIBLE, I'm afraid to buy another!

The ones at the store here are Western Bully sticks. I don't think they smell at all. Rachel got some from I think bullysticks. com and I thought they smelled horrible but the dogs didn't mind. :dead:

One place I found them. There are from MN. http://www.boneapatreat.com/m7/DCH-WES-6BL--western-dog-chews-6-in-bully-stick.html
 
Last edited:
I just wanted people to know, I got an Elk Antler for Birch at the show this weekend. It was about an 1 1/2" in diameter and about 6 " long. It was split so the softer middle was more easily gotten to. The dogs really like it better than the whole antler. It wears down quicker but still lasts a long long time. Birch and Diva have now chewed on it for 8 hours and there is wear on both ends but thats it.

Best part for me I posted about it on FB and my cousin saw it and getting me a bunch of Elk Antlers from her parents farm(they raise Elk) Woo hoo.

Do the antlers splinter? I only recently saw antlers available around here at the frou-frou doggie store (which of course is where all of our stuff comes from now anyway). We've never given bones to our dogs because of the splintering concern, but I know that even though antlers are technically bone, the composition is not quite the same. Has anyone had any problems with splintering/breakage?
 
Do the antlers splinter? I only recently saw antlers available around here at the frou-frou doggie store (which of course is where all of our stuff comes from now anyway). We've never given bones to our dogs because of the splintering concern, but I know that even though antlers are technically bone, the composition is not quite the same. Has anyone had any problems with splintering/breakage?

Nope--not at all! The wear down SO slowly that they never break.
 
Back
Top