Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Clicking Sound: Am I worrying too much?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Elei, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Well I couldn't wait any longer - I made an appointment for this coming Tuesday afternoon. Fingers crossed that he is ok!!!!!! I'll update here after his appointment

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    KarenCurtis, Wendy C, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Hope it's nothing serious but good that you are having it checked. That kind of thing just preys on my mind until I know what the heck is going on.

Elei, Ann and ghggp like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Fingers crossed that it's nothing! But I'm glad you're having it checked!

Elei likes this.
  4. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Now I just have to try and stay sane until Tuesday. Worrying that sweet little Kip could have something seriously wrong is killing me:(

KarenCurtis and Hanne like this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Try to remember that Kip isn't in any pain, so that's good. He isn't limping or showing signs of distress. My girl was the same way. And if there is something, you're catching it early enough to get it fixed before it's a problem. That's the important thing! Hang in there. :fl

KarenCurtis, Elei and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Kip had his appointment today. The vet couldn't find anything significant on the physical exam, so we ended up doing 3 X-Rays: Hips, and 1 of each hind leg. The good news is that his hips look great. Obviously he is still really young, so I'll get his hips checked again when he's full grown, but so far the vet thinks his hips are really good. His knees are also nice and solid. No ligament tears or problems with the patella.

The only possibly bad thing the vet found was below the knee there was a slight abnormality showing up on the X-Ray. The vet explained that it could be nothing. His bones are still growing, growth plates closing up - so it could just be the way the bone is maturing and nothing is wrong. Or it could be some inflammation from an injury to the growth plate. We are going to make him rest for a week - no running, jumping, or rough playing. Only on-leash walks. After that he can slowly exercise more. He is also getting an anti-inflammatory. in 2 weeks he is going back for a reevaluation and we'll go from there.

I'm somewhat relieved, but if its a growth plate injury that could be bad. At least he doesn't seem to know anything is wrong. Even at the vet office he was cheerfully playing with his toys. Now I just have to try to keep him calm for a whole week. It's going to be difficult!

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Glad to hear the hips were all okay - hope that the rest makes a difference. If a growth plate injury, what does that mean for Kip? Thanks for the update!

Wendy C likes this.
  9. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Glad things look good for Kip and hope it stays that way! Good luck keeping a Sheltie pup calm! lol :)

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    That's really good news! Even if it's a growth plate, there are good odds that it will heal on its own with rest. If it's hard keeping Kip in a crate, try using an exercise pen, or gating a small area in your house. It will be a long week for sure, but a healthy Kip will be worth it!

KarenCurtis and Wendy C like this.