Concerned about Chandler's Pot Belly

Thank you everyone for all your support. I am really struggling with this decision. It is really the only thing I can think about. His mind is here but his body is failing him in so many ways I just wish it was easier to really know when enough is enough. Please pray I can come to a decision that will bring peace to both of us.

I know it is a tough question but I am also open to anyones input on what they would do knowing Chandler's history the last year. Thanks again.
 
Hey Dawn-

My heart is breaking for you.

The only way I can help you out, is to recommend that you really look into Chandler's eyes. The eyes of a dog can tell you a lot. Most times this is this curiosity and love for life. Even if it is just to see you walk in the room. Something that brings them joy and they let you know. Whenever I had to put a dog down...something from the eyes changed. The dog went from hope and happy to depressed, worried, and sad. It is almost a sunken in desperate look of doom.

I am so so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Big hugs from Jersey.

Dani
 
Dawn, my heart is just breaking for you as I know how much Chandler means to me.

When my Hamish was so sick with pancreatitis andat the end was having difficulty walking, I can remember looking into his eyes on the Sunday before I left to come back to where I was working. He had a look in his eyes that was saying that would be the last time I would see him. I just knew in my heart that he wouldn't be there the next Friday night when I got home. He died all alone at the vet's overnight on the Tuesday. I would never want this to happen again to any dog that I loved.

As Danielle has so aptly said, look into his eyes. He will tell you. This is not a decision that you are making lightly or in a hurry.

Just know that we are upholding you in our prayers and that God will surround you with His comforting arms at this time.

Take care and hugs from all of us.
 
Dawn I'm so sorry to hear about Chandler and the hardest decision you are trying to make. It makes my heart break as well. I agree, his eyes will tell you. It did with me and Klee and we knew then. It's the hardest thing we have to do as furry parents but the last thing we can do for them in this world. You have given him the best life and everything he could've ever wanted I'm sure. It's hard to say what one would do when they're not in your shoes, but it sounds like his quality of life is just going downhill unfortunately, so I would probably make that hard choice to help him go out with his dignity and run free again. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and Chandler and Gypsy. Lots of love and hugs during this very hard time.
 
I am so sorry, give him all the hugs and kisses while you can. The eyes will tell you but I can tell you that I was not able to see that with Louie. When I looked back at his pictures after I had let him go, I could see the pain in his eyes for quite a while before I let him go and I know that I probably held on to him too long. He loved me so much that I'm sure that he would have endured anything to be with me but I had to love him more and give him that last gift of love. I'm praying for you.....
 
I appreciate so much all of you being here for me through this tough time. I have been praying God would give me a sign so I would make the right decision for Chandler.

Today I was walking Gypsy and Chandler before going to the grocery store and as I have written previously Chandler's right ankle collapsed awhile ago and recently his left has. I didn't think his leg could get any worse but all of the sudden while he was walking his right ankle collapsed even further. He is now flat footed all the way up to the ankle bone and his toes are spread out like if you spread your fingers out. He could barely walk so I carried him into the building as far as I could ( he is a big boy 19" and 43lbs.) and thank God the building Valet came in and carried him to the elevator for me. I had put a call in to my Vet before this even happened and was awaiting his call. The vet called back this afternoon and we talked in depth for a half hour and the decision has been made to help Chandler go to the Bridge where he can join his best girl Lacey. If I am able to assist him around Ok this weekend I would like to take him in on Monday. The BF's Birthday is on Sunday and I don't want to ruin it by being a basket case or remembering every year it was the day I said Goodbye to my little boy.

Thank you again to all of you for your support and concerns for Chandler. Please keep us in your prayers.
 
Oh Dawn you will certainly be in my prayers and thoughts over the next few days. It is a difficult decision you have made. I wish I was closer so I could give you a hug.

Take care
 
Dawn, you have enormous faith and I know God will help you through this. We will try our best too, and send you prayers and love for strength. You know you are doing the right thing for Chandler. We are all here for you.
 
Back
Top