Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Crate Training 101

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Lahree, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave Forums Regular

Nov 30, 2011
    New Jersey
    My girlfriend refuses to use the crate, no way around this. Will this be ok? She also negates all my training attempts and research through these forums/dogbreedinfo.com or anywhere...kind of frustrating

2. Lahree

Lahree Forums Enthusiast

Dec 15, 2008
    North Texas
    What's her objections? Does she think using a crate is cruel?

3. PonyForever

PonyForever Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2016
    Huntsville, AL
    This is what I thought too. I've not done crate training before; but since anyone with a show dog or performance dog has to use one, it would make sense that the crate was the constant, not wherever it's placed. The dogs are smart enough to understand the distinction, so this wouldn't be likely to confuse them.

Ah, it depends. Like I said, I haven't crate trained before, but with all things training: I would make sure you were the one dealing with the dog all the time at first, if she is not on board with how you want him/her trained. At least while the dog is learning the new behaviors. After time, I think the dogs learn who is "in-charge" and who is not. My husband is a great guy, but gives in to soft puppy dog looks more than I do. So he gets less cooperation than me. They know he's not going to enforce anything, so they're all "whatever dad, we're cute, it's enough!"

I'll mention that we have Shiba Inu's, I'm still looking for my Sheltie. So the level of cooperation I get in the first place is pretty low, haha. But that's another story for another day...the point is that they do "obey" me more than him :p

I never saw the need for crate training with the Shibes. My female never had an accident in the house. The male had ONE. I expect the new Sheltie to do Sheltie things, though, and also plan to do some performance. So I'll probably be doing some crate stuff when I get the new puppy.

4. Matsuki

Matsuki Forums Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    Just a friendly suggestion but maybe time for a new girlfriend? I can only imagine what kids with someone like that would be like... :banghead: