Curly Q

Oh my! I see what you mean! I think its cute myself, but if you really want to get rid of it....

Well, the only thing I can suggest is investing in a good quality dryer. I don't think you necessarily have to got with a high velocity (it can freak some dogs out) but Conair has a pretty good pet version that my groomer uses for hand drying.

It would be like blow drying your own hair straight. Only thing is....because of the coats natural curl, in humidity, it would probably curl up all over again.

I would caution against drying too often. The other approach is misting and line brushing out several times per week. It's still gonna curl eventually however.
 
Oh, so very curly !!! I think it's cute too, but I can understand that you would like a more "polished" look at times too. As Barb says, blowing out straight with a dryer and brush and the product Caro mentioned from Plush Puppy. I'm thinking maybe trimming the coat shorter might help, BUT I have no experience with this much curl...maybe someone else on the forum has had first hand experience with trimming a curly coat ?
 
Sorry, but I love those curvy long locks! I spent lots of money getting my hair to do that. :smile2:

Good luck if you want to straighten it, but I think it is beautiful and it would be so boring if all our shelties looked alike.
 
I guess everyone has different preferences... To me, the curls look unruly and mangy. I spent a lot of money on a straightener for my hair to get the waviness out. :smile2: Thanks for the suggestions... I am going to look into the conair dryer as well as the plush puppy product. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a brush? Perhaps one that thins/pulls out undercoat?
 
awww
I LOVE it, he's adorable.. those pants are something else :D
Toffee has a bit of a curly coat, too... but not as much as your guy
His fur is so shiney and everything, I don't think he looks unkempt, but well looked after :biggrin2:
 
I guess everyone has different preferences... To me, the curls look unruly and mangy. I spent a lot of money on a straightener for my hair to get the waviness out. :smile2: Thanks for the suggestions... I am going to look into the conair dryer as well as the plush puppy product. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a brush? Perhaps one that thins/pulls out undercoat?

To straighten out the hair, I think you are going to need multiple torture tools.

But I think technique is probably your best friend. Are you familiar with line brushing? If not, then invest in the Illustrated Guide to Sheltie Grooming.

Bottom line....learn line brushing, get a good slicker and good pin brush along with a plant mister bottle to spray water. They don't have to be super expensive but feel comfortable in your hand. There are lots of threads already on what our favourite brands are.

You can try product, but frankly I'm turning away from it myself when I'm grooming and going back to straight water misting.

Brush out a couple of times per week, and you should be fine. It will still curl in between, but manageable.

Or you just learn to love his curls! :biggrin2:
 
I guess everyone has different preferences... To me, the curls look unruly and mangy. I spent a lot of money on a straightener for my hair to get the waviness out. :smile2: Thanks for the suggestions... I am going to look into the conair dryer as well as the plush puppy product. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a brush? Perhaps one that thins/pulls out undercoat?

I tend to agree with you. It is genetic and it is hell to get rid of. It usually goes with a soft coat as well so it just drapes on the body. I covet the straight harsh stand off coat. My boys Justice, Jamie and Birch all have it and their hair never looks messy even when covered in dirt

First thing is undercoat is your friend.:smile2: The more undercoat they have the better that hair will stand out more and lay better, no undercoat it will drape and curl worse.

Second when you bathe, never ever let the coat air dry. Just don't. It will curl like crazy. If your dog will tolerate one get a forced air dryer. I personally will never groom a sheltie without one. We start even the 8 wks old puppies on it and they do just fine. It dries more thoughly ,quicker and doesn't burn the coat. Blow the back har only in the direction that you want the hair to lay, do not blow it up or swirl it around. Blow the mane up from the shoulder and the shoulder down.

In between, line brush thoughly down to the skin with a good pinbursh, make sure the undercoat is brushed smoothly and not clumping but don't try to pull on the undercoat.

If that is not working try a product called get it straight when you bathe and then blow dry. You can use it on dry coats but I have never use it that way. http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...t_It_Straight_Coat_Polish__with_Sunscreen_4oz

Good luck on your grooming:smile2:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top