Dematting tool for big butts lol

the nice thing about the mars is that it takes out the underneith while leaving the top untouched...so you dont actually lose the coat color you just lost that wild undercoat making the top coat do funny things. Ive never used the furminator on my dogs just the cats and it does take out the top part of their coat so I would be careful you dont strip out too much just leaving their undercoat and making them look washed out.
 
Can I ask WHY you thin out their coats? Or are you just removing dead hair? I've never thinned a coat - just brushed it thoroughly to the skin - which takes hours, of course :yes: but I'm not sure why you're stripping out ANY of the undercoat??
 
Can I ask WHY you thin out their coats? Or are you just removing dead hair? I've never thinned a coat - just brushed it thoroughly to the skin - which takes hours, of course :yes: but I'm not sure why you're stripping out ANY of the undercoat??

Yes, you are removing the thick, dense undercoat that can cause the top coat to stick up in funny ways! You're also dealing with shedding. Neither of my boys are shedders (yet!) but if and when, I want a tool that can strip the worst of it away.

As for the furminator, you do have to go lightly. I do not follow the video instruction which has fur flying everywhere! And I don't use it everytime I groom. Only when it feels like their bums are getting a little thick and matted.
 
Thanks all for the suggestions! I definitely appreciate!! I look forward to checking them both out this weekend :smile2:
MyMinpin, I am looking to maybe thin out a small portion on the rump that creates the illusion of an unlevel topline- by seeing the 'fuzzy butt' :lol:
 
But it sounds like a lot of you sheltie owners do it so do you do it just for spots like jazzyfizzle mentioned then? Not ALL the time then?

If so, that makes perfect sense.

And, yeah, fuzzy butt is annoying!!!! :lol:
 
For me, exactly!

If my pups bums starting feeling "bumpy", then I know it's time to thin things out a little. Or sometimes, you'll see little clumps rise up, then a quick sweep.

But to be honest, I've not used the furminator on Bacca all winter! He isn't shedding, and I figure he needs the coat to keep warm.

Check with me in April! I'm betting that I could probably fill a comforter out of what I pull out of the boys!
 
yes it levels out the topline so they dont look like OES (old english Sheepdogs) my breeder actually told me about the mars and he couldnt stop lauging when I told him I needed help because she looked like an OES Butt:lol: it also works well if they have a cowlick in their coat where it just wont lie flat it removes it to get it down...
 
yes it levels out the topline so they dont look like OES (old english Sheepdogs) my breeder actually told me about the mars and he couldnt stop lauging when I told him I needed help because she looked like an OES Butt:lol: it also works well if they have a cowlick in their coat where it just wont lie flat it removes it to get it down...

Thanks!!! OES Butt :lol: Makes sense.
 
Back
Top