Dematting tool for big butts lol

But it sounds like a lot of you sheltie owners do it so do you do it just for spots like jazzyfizzle mentioned then? Not ALL the time then?

If so, that makes perfect sense.

And, yeah, fuzzy butt is annoying!!!! :lol:

I only do it when I'm going to a conformation show. Otherwise, my dogs are (except for feet and nails) natural!
 
the nice thing about the mars is that it takes out the underneith while leaving the top untouched...so you dont actually lose the coat color you just lost that wild undercoat making the top coat do funny things. Ive never used the furminator on my dogs just the cats and it does take out the top part of their coat so I would be careful you dont strip out too much just leaving their undercoat and making them look washed out.

Cat hair isn't the same as dog hair, which would be why its taking out top coat I'd suspect. I've been using a Furminator for a long time and its NEVER removed anything other than under coat

As for whether or not I use the Furminator every time, I do. Sadie sheds a lot so I use it lightly on most of her body to get rid of the loose fur, but I concentrate a lot on her bum to keep it from getting to big. I groom Sadie approximately every other week (Probably why I think she sheds a lot, I should probably do it more often but this seems to work).
 
Last edited:
Does anyone use this dematting tool (they recommend on the Silvertrails seminar) for taking the undercoat out of the puffy butt for shows? I can't tell which exact one they are recommending, and it doesn't say a name brand.
Thumbs up or down?

not sure on the seminar but ive used a mars brush on mine to get their coat to lay just right..its got teeth in it that pulls out the undercoat so the top will lay flat. I think mine is either 18 or 20 tooth..cant remember though...

the nice thing about the mars is that it takes out the underneith while leaving the top untouched...so you dont actually lose the coat color you just lost that wild undercoat making the top coat do funny things.

I got the Silvertrails video after seeing people recommendations, I find it very helpful to learn to trim. I saw where they were using the dematting tool on the back end to get rid of the bump and wondered if I should get one of those tools. I really don't care if there is a bump, but I do tend to find it a lot of work to comb that area out and thought the tool might make it easier. The tool looks like this https://www.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=55311. I searched the forum and found this thread addressing the very issue I was thinking about.

I do have a mars coat king. I got it years ago for a previous sheltie and LOVED it, but then someone told me I should not be using it because it was stripping the coat. Granted, I was using all over and instead of a pin brush (I did not know any better then).

Is the mars coat king a reasonable thing to use on the back near the rear end (in addition to a pin brush) to help get rid of all the loose undercoat there? I am guessing the problem with the mars is that it is taking all undercoat, loose or not? Does it definitely not remove top coat, I thought that was part of the reason I was told not to use it, but I could be mistaken, it was 10 or so years ago? It looks like my Mars coat king is the medium with 12 blades.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
I clicked on that link,says "no item found"

Probably because this thread has been quiet for almost 3 years.

Its a good point though. I've been trying to get away from the Furminator because the dogs dont like it, but nothing removes the undercoat like it does.

I have a similar dematting tool to the Mars Coat-King but didn't like it much, I thought I made things look worse by using it too much in one area. Perhaps I need to give it another try and be more careful.
 
Yes, it is an old thread. I was watching the SilverTrails video and searched to see if the topic had been discussed before.

Since I have a Mars (although it is apparently not the one recommended for shelties, it should have more teeth) I am very tempted to just try it a little bit and see if I can thin out that back area, not to remove a bump for show purposes, but to make it easier to comb each week. That seems to always be one of the trouble spots.

I assume that bump is undercoat that is not loose. I am guessing that extra undercoat in that one area is why there is always so much to comb out of that spot.

I have never used a Furminator. I do know the dogs don't mind the Mars at all.

I am thinking brush/comb it out well first. When it will comb, just do a few stokes of the Mars maybe.
 
yes that is the one. works wonderfully! Just use one pass and brush to see results...remember you can always take more out...its harder to get the hair back in once its been removed lol:lol:

I have never seen these tools before, and they look very interesting. What size/blade number do you recommend? My Olive has a very heavy coat...
 
I would wait for the knowledgeable folks here before buying anything, but here is a list of what is recommended for what breed

https://www.petedge.com/assets/product_files/pdf/Sizing/ZC515SIZ.pdf

It recommends a 20 blade for a sheltie, at almost $50. I get the impression it should be used VERY VERY sparingly, I was misusing it years ago. I can tell you it gets a lot of fur very quickly and easily, maybe too easily.

I made a mistake years ago. I saw numerous people raving about it for shelties on the web (not here) and decided to try it. Not only did I buy the wrong one, I was later told (by a knowledgeable sheltie person) that I should not be using a tool like that on a sheltie. I was using it like a brush or comb though, not sparingly in a few select areas. The fact that I had the wrong one may not have helped either.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top