Distichiasis

I'm glad you found a permanent (let's hope) solution that you will go with. Poor baby is probably very uncomfortable. Whenever I have something wrong with my eyes, I am miserable. I can only imagine it is the same. I hope that whatever you go with is the best for you and your pup!
 
Poor Maia! That sounds so painful. I know I hate having a loose eyelash in my eye. I'm anxious to hear what the costs are. Good luck!
 
Poor baby! But it does sound like the best treatment.

Makes you wish that you'd gotten pet insurance, doesn't it? I wonder if that would have been covered by it?

I know I wish I had though I'm not sure how much of Bacca's issues would have been covered. (I expect his "experimentation with narcotics" would NOT have been! :rolleyes2:)
 
See, it's for that very reason I'm looking into pet health insurance. I'm still undecided about it. That does look painful. I don't like it when they have to put the dog asleep for something. :( I think it's very scary. How does that work, I wonder? Would she have to wear a cone to keep from scratching it?
 
Well I went for a second opinion to an eye specialist vet. Thank goodness I did. He thinks this is more complicated and he would not even want to attempt surgery on her. He says that due to the amount of eyelashes involved, there is a very high chance of her forming a lot of scar tissue on the eye which would be a problem and that there is a high chance that they would grow back anyway. He recommends I take her to a veteranary ophthalmologist. Unfortuantely, there is none here in Winnipeg. There is an eye clinic here this weekend, where the ophthalmologist is coming down from Saskatoon, but it is all booked up. The next clinic isn't until November sometime. So, now I don't know what to do. I can drive up to Saskatoon, but it is a day's drive (9 hours) and I am not sure if they will be able to see her and do the surgery the same day or at least within a day of each other. I cannot drive there for the appointment, drive back and then drive up again, that is too much time off work, never mind the cost of fuel, hotel, food etc. Keep your fingers crossed that they will squeeze me into the clinic this weekend.
 
I suggest that if it's at all possiblke, you show up at the door before they open, with Maia, both of you looking as pitiful as possible (but like you can afford care :wink2:) Then camp out in the waiting room. As a last resort, start crying -- sobbing into Maia's fur. This is no time to play fair! :cool:
 
I am getting squeezed in on Saturday night! I am to arrive at 10:15 pm and they said it will probably be midnight before I see him! but at least Maia will be seen and then we can book the surgery and go from there. One of my patients/friends have offered to look after Chinook when I do go, so that is good, one less thing to worry about.
 
Back
Top