Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does anyone here slack off sometimes in their Sheltie training?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by KarenCurtis, Feb 19, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes! Sometimes Sandstorm doesn't come that quickly either until I say treat or cookie!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    So true. It's so easy to get slack and when you're fighting natural instinct, or something that's really, really fun, that's the stuff that needs reinforcing.

Gosh yes, the spinning and barking when people pass is definitely something Sandstorm will get worse with and teach the puppy. Mine walked perfectly one-on-one, they listen, they walk close, check in - all the things they were taught. But put them together and the one-up-manship starts. Honestly, when you walk 2 cheeky dogs you are walking 3 dogs - they two on the lead and then the naughty monster between them. I admit I got slack too, and as Deska got older the one-up-manship got worse. Actually Deska was a dream puppy, Tully was hard work, so I put all the work into Tully and she ended up with perfect manners, and Mr D was a ratbag.

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin is way more stubborn than he used to be. I attribute it to his hearing loss. He was always so responsive to my voice and my talking to him. All I had to do was click my tongue and he would stop what he was doing and follow me. Now he likes little hugs and cheek pats mid walk to re-assure him. I have to tug on the leash all the time when he is in his wheelchair. He has very set ideas on where he wants to go! I feel like a monster tugging him this way and that, but otherwise he would always end up looking for snacks (aka goose poop).

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Awww poor Gavin! I guess we forget how much hearing loss can affect a dog. It must be hard on them, I can see how he'd need that reassurance...that touch or movement of the leash reminds him that your still with him.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! i will be a gud dog!

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    haa haa haa. i have to pull him along with that leash. I guess my disapproving voice was strong enough he wouldn't dare disobey. Now he can't hear it, so he does what he wants!

Piper's mom likes this.