Dog for Sale (not really) - Counter Surfer, Food Thief, Eats Everything

My daughter had a naughty little Schipperke that she cured of getting into the trash by using those easy-set mousetraps; the kind that snap shut but are meant to suffocate the mouse as opposed to breaking its neck. After setting them off once, the little black devil was so scared of the things that she was able to use them effectively in other areas. A Schipperke is like a loaded spring, so you can be sure that they can get just about anywhere they want to go; my frustrated daughter was on the verge of sending this one back to Rescue when she tried this.

However, if it were just me, the first thing I'd try is to set him up with some juicy tidbits, then give him absolute hell when I caught him. After that, the mousetraps.

Ember snapped herself in a mousetrap poking around Rachels garage. She yelped and took off. But first opportuny she got she was back to poking around. DOn't underestimate a food loving sheltie.

Cheryl, you could leave food on the floor with Miko? What's that like? Heaven. :smile2: 2 maybe 3 of my dogs would steal food from my mouth if they thought they could get away with it. :rolleyes2:
 
Okay, I need help. How can I cure counter surfing, food stealing, or just trying to eat everything in general? I am so sick and tired of Koji getting into things.

You can sit here and tell me it's all my fault because I left things on the counter or the pantry door open, but honestly, I don't need that crap right now. I'm at the end of my rope and afraid of what I'm going to do. I'm super stressed out in my life right now and Miko's health issues add to that and Koji's food issues are adding even more to it. It's so bad, a friend suggested I put Miko down to alleviate that stress. I wanted to put things in perspective. So, as I type this, I'm crying out of pure frustration. :gaah

Suggestions? Thoughts?

I did think about putting a gate up, but if Koji can jump 26" in agility at almost a stand still, that's not going to keep him out if he wants and I've kinda taught him to jump anything (oops). And anything that high that I can barely cross over....well, will do me more damage than him (I'll most likely trip and fall over it and hurt myself - yes, I'm a total klutz). I don't mind blocking the kitchen, but help me figure out how to block it, without me ending up hurting myself more.

Maybe I should tie up Koji when I go out or take Miko out (short periods, not like when I go to work). I have a leash tied to my desk for when the boys eat dinner. Koji gets tied up, otherwise he'd eat Miko's food.

Lastly. Koji tries to eat everything. Sticks, rocks, grass, anything, so very frustrating always having to dig things out of his mouth. I'm just grateful he doesn't bite down when I do it.

Help!

Hey there~
I hear your frustration,I am sorry,really am. Can I suggest a walk thru gate for you? Brian got one for me,as I nearly fell one day trying to get over a gate that was here in the house. And it has really solved my problem to keep an area off limitis,but I can still allow dogs & myself to cross without injury.

Blake is a jumper,seriously has been an issue,but since this gate has been installed,he has not even bothered to try to jump over it.

I don't have the counter surfing issues,I did when Earnhardt was alive,I remember a shower cake I was doing,I turned my back to get something from the cabinet,and he scooted in and got right up there,and took a chunk out of the first layer. (a memory now...but I was'nt happy that day)

There is another method,but since your dogs are older it may not work. But I'll share just the same.

When we lived in the rental house,I was working with gourds every day.I had a studio,that I set up in the house,that was completely off limits to Earnhardt.
I trained him as a small pup,using tape across the door threshold. Lowering the tape as a few weeks went on,till it was eventually on the floor,but still visable to him. He learned to not cross over it.
I used this method as each pup has come into the family,even here at the house. No dog is allowed in kitchen when I am cooking or baking.

Here is a picture of Earnhardt...looking at me while I was doing a cake order. He knew better not to cross over,but the look is priceless. (We miss him so much)
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/6293_1139587084243_1201101_n.jpg
 
Ooo...I didn't realize that the ones with doors were also pressure springed. I could do that (no screws as I am in an apt, well I could, but that'd be more I have to pay for, well, not like I couldn't just speckle it. Less dangerous for me. I'll check things out online tomorrow.

As for keeping things out of the mouth, sorry, Koji is going on 6 and he's never let up from his puppy days about things going into his mouth. :no:

I did not use the screws in our walk thru gate either. This gate is going nowheres...it is solid in the door. I'll take a picture of it later & show you where I had Brian put it.
I opted for this door,because of Oreo.(cat)..he was making a bee-line for the open door when I let dogs in or out. He seriously wants outside all the time. He can't get thru the openings,and the wood door can still be closed with no issues.
I can walk thru & as well the dogs,when they need to go out. The cat is finally getting the drift. I was about ready to find him a new home,he was making such a nuisence of himself. I was outside many times looking for a black cat at night,while he was having a grand ole time rolling in dirt.

I also wanted to add,Trapp has always been afraid of gates,but this gate has taught him its "ok",and he passes over it with no issue.
Here is the one he bought~
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OC5UMQ/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_21
 
Last edited:
My goodness, I thought for a moment I was reading about Liam - this boy is into everything and anything. I am finding it is usually anything I have touched. It has gotten worse since Dad went and much worse since I was home for two weeks in March.

The only solution, other than crating (and that is a definite possibility) is to put everything and anything away in the house that I can. He is not bad outside, it is just inside.

Wish I had more of a suggestion for you. Perhaps his worsening problem is stress dealing with his brother's increasing illness. I know Liam went into grief mode, so illness can affect them.
 
I totally understand your frustration. Smokey was like that something terrible and ended up very sick numerous times from getting on the table and stealing food. From Trident gum(which could've killed him had we not caught it within minutes) to a huge plate of deep fried mozzarella sticks which caused severe pancreatitis. Unfortunately, the only thing that helped was old age. Finally around 10 he got too old to be able to get on the kitchen table.

I wish I knew an answer for you.
 
This is the gate I have. The idea was that the cats would be able to get through. But Missy can also. But you can shut the pet gate. It's exactly like the one mbfrench posted, but with the cat door. This one is 30 inches high, but I know they make them as high as 42. Trust me, you aren't the only one with a dog who can jump!

http://amzn.com/B000JJDI0G

Edit- Here's an extra tall one. It's 41 inches. They even have a collie in the background for height comparison! http://amzn.com/B000JJFNJK
 
Last edited:
I sooo get this problem. And baby gates don't always work - Deska actually worked out how to open them, even tho most of the humans couldn't!

The one barrier I have found mostly works is metal. I used to think mine hated the sound of metal because I used to fall over the metal x-pen when I had vertigo. But then I read some research about dogs in pounds - that scraping metal actually has a pitch (which we can't hear) that is really irritating to a dog. So mine don't make too much of an effort to open the metal barrier.

It's not exactly the same, but Deska gets very mouthy when he's happy and attaches himself to me leg with his mouth if I'm not careful. So I carry a stick with me at all times. At first whenever he started getting mouthy I would shove a stick in his mouth, and after a while he began picking up the sticks himself from the ground. But I still carry a stick with me in case there are none around. I know they say sticks are bad for dogs, but its better than my ankle.
 
I'm so grateful that Bailey is small, because if she was taller, she would certainly counter-surf. She tries to jump up and grab certain things like her food or raw chicken. I just have to keep everything away from the edge and then she can't reach it.

The gate that Jess posted sounds perfect for you. It's tall and has a door that you can walk through.

Can you put your food in all your top cabinets? So if you do accidentally leave a lower cabinet door open, there's no food for him to eat.

If he opens cabinets, baby stores sell child-proof locks.

I'd crate him for when you walk Miko. Then you don't have to worry about him going into the kitchen.

Good luck!
 
We have a neighbor who has 2 dachshunds. She has some sort of shock mat she purchased that goes on the floor. There's a switch the turns the shock on and off. She places it on the floor between her kitchen and living room so she can confine the dogs to the kitchen when she works, and they won't even go near it when the mat is down. They also leave it down at night as that's where the dogs sleep, but with the switch turned off the humans can walk over it with no problem.

Not sure how well it would work with a reactive Sheltie, but we tried one with our Lab who was much too big for a gate. We didn't want him going down the hall to our bedrooms and bathroom, and placed it right in the hallway from the living room. Took about two times of getting a shock, and he never even tried again.
 
We have a neighbor who has 2 dachshunds. She has some sort of shock mat she purchased that goes on the floor. There's a switch the turns the shock on and off. She places it on the floor between her kitchen and living room so she can confine the dogs to the kitchen when she works, and they won't even go near it when the mat is down. They also leave it down at night as that's where the dogs sleep, but with the switch turned off the humans can walk over it with no problem.

Not sure how well it would work with a reactive Sheltie, but we tried one with our Lab who was much too big for a gate. We didn't want him going down the hall to our bedrooms and bathroom, and placed it right in the hallway from the living room. Took about two times of getting a shock, and he never even tried again.

I'll keep that in mind in case I ever need it, but I've never been too bothered with counter-surfing dogs. I'm very big into behavior modification in cases like this, even if it's painful to the dog: it's much better than spending the rest of the animal's life watching over him like a hawk and trying to keep him out of things. My daughter's the same way, and she was able to take a very naughty and impossible schipperke and turn him into a perfect gentleman within a few short months.
 
Back
Top