Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Doggie Chiropracter

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

i stay away from human chiropractors, too. since she is a vet first with chiro cert I am hoping she is more like what people on here have experienced

2. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm sorry your experience with human chiropractors has been bad. Mine have been positive over the years. I suspect like anything you have to find what works for you and if it doesn't you seek other methods. I've met some I wouldn't see, but I've had more bad traditional doctors than issues with chiros truthfully. It hasn't made me give up on traditional doctors because I've met some bad ones. It just makes me move on from the bad ones until I find a traditional doctor I can trust.

3. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sorry to hear that. Our human chiropractor (who is really a sports guy) has improved our whole family, especially DH, who has a traumatic brain injury.

Bailey's Mom likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

I think the chiropractic field has it share of charlatans as well as honest people trying to help. Sadly the bad actors get the most attention and press. I don't know that this will help Gavin, and even the chiro admitted as much, saying 2-3 sessions is usually a good indicator if her methods are doing any good. It took 4 sessions for the PT vet to admit she didn't know what was wrong or how to help.

5. Bailey's Mom

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I like working with people who will admit they have limits and can't fix everything whether human or animal, traditional medicine or alternative. It is a good sign when they are willing to tell you we will try this, but there are no guarantees. The ones that promise you the moon and the stars when nobody really knows what is wrong are generally the ones you should walk away from regardless of the field or who is being treated. It can be frustrating to keep looking, but it doesn't sound like they plan on stringing you on with promises for more sessions, if you just put out more money we can try...

Did the PT use massage at all? As I mentioned previously we've used chiropractic for both human and dog maintenance for years. However, for muscle issues adding massage has made for Bailey in his later years and for both the girls now.

6. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Nope....tried acupuncture with some sort of electrical stimulation (no effect I could see), hydrotherapy (Gavin was uncooperative). lots of balance boards, treadmills, etc. I did lots of massage at home as well as cold laser. the PT vet just seemes stumped that Gavin wasnt gaining muscle mass and was still limping. She had a bunch of other vets at the practise take a look, too.

Gavin follows me around the house and doesn't appear to be avoiding anything (he gets up/lays down/gets back up frequently) except jumping, he is very deliberate when jumping even small heights like 6-8 inches. In fact, when he lays down on his side he always pivots on his bad leg and swings the good one down first. I am guessing he has had neuropathy in his leg for a while, and his muscle memory was compensating for the loss of feeling. when he hurt his groin and lost muscle mass he lost the ability and muscle memory to compensate.

7. Bailey's Mom

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    All 3 of our Shelties have had an aversion to water I can't even begin to imagine trying hydrotherapy with them, although it's been the most effective human PT for me. I've talked with others who have had good outcomes but their dogs liked water. I fear mine would be more likely to do more harm as they panicked in the water.

I wish you good fortune in finding a solution to the problem.

8. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

Well, She said that his back was very tight. So mostly looks like she will be treating that. Gavin is definitely not worse, which is good. She gave him lots of treats, which he loved.