Dogs leaving the ring

A question for you agility folks: why isn't the ring just enclosed, to avoid this kind of thing? I guess the bigger, more athletic dogs could just clear the fencing, but wouldn't it be safer to close the opening off before each dog runs? Is there a rule that the ring must be open?

This one group who holds trials stated, "if your dog runs off the course, they shouldn't be running". In reference to the fact that their ring was poles with tape and nothing else. Me and my friend were kinda freaking out, but for the most part, they don't run out.

I admit, my dog was like this and it was the MOST embarrassing thing. I mean, yes, I'm a novice and it's to be expected in that group, but still. Embarrassing. Thankfully, Koji has a recall in the ring now. However, if I saw a woman, with that many dogs and they all did that....I'd be thinking, "quit wasting MY time and MY money".

BTW, I have seen many sight/scent hounds and yes, some do wander off or sniff the ground, but for the most part, the trainer gets their attention or walks off themselves. But then, maybe that woman is just over the top too serious about agility.
 
A question for you agility folks: why isn't the ring just enclosed, to avoid this kind of thing? I guess the bigger, more athletic dogs could just clear the fencing, but wouldn't it be safer to close the opening off before each dog runs? Is there a rule that the ring must be open?

My thought is that it isn't rule related, just logistically the easiest thing to do. Often times the first jump/start line is right up by the fence. Getting the dog to the start line, then having someone fumble around to try to "close the gate" behind them might be time consuming and distracting. Not to mention that to keep things moving, the judge encourages the next team to get into position prior to the first dog finishing the course.
 
A question for you agility folks: why isn't the ring just enclosed, to avoid this kind of thing? I guess the bigger, more athletic dogs could just clear the fencing, but wouldn't it be safer to close the opening off before each dog runs? Is there a rule that the ring must be open?

The thing is though, I have seen many a dog simply hop on over the fencing rather than run out of the actual ring opening. If a dog wants out, it's getting out and many simply choose the quickest path!

Heck, even my 11 lb. sheltie can clear 26" jumps (I don't ask her to do it on purpose, but she has a napoleon complex and loves to run off and take them on the practice field sometimes :rolleyes2:), so I can't imagine the fencing it would take to keep even barely medium sized dogs in.
 
We have dogs running off the course regularly. I train with a beagle breeder and she has nightmares keeping her beagle on course - but then she doesnt trial very much. I also train with a Goldie breeder who has one particular goldie that often does laps way off course and that dog is in Excellent. He also has more reliable goldies though.

I do wonder if some breeders do agility to get the titles for breeding purposes. But if your dogs are that unreliable surely its demoralising, so why would you bother keeping on trialling.

Our trials are always outside and only one local club has fenced in rings (gates are always closed). The rest of the clubs just have string showing where the rings are so no one wanders in.

And isn't a reliable recall one of the requirements for starting agility?
 
I am trialing in two weeks and I am going to video her running her dogs.I am so happy this trial is indoors in AC otherwise I would have to pull. I will not run my dogs in the heat.I am also glad they decided to cancel class Thurs.night because of the heat.
 
Baileys firsts agility was canceled yesterday because of the heat. Im happy because we couldnt have gone anyway. So now we wont miss her first class.
 
All my clubs classes were cancelled this week because of the heat.I took the boys swimming last night instead.:biggrin2:We are going again this afternnon. Monday they have agility run thrus so I will go and take Sting.
 
Ditto, I pulled out of agility class last week because of the heat.

As for the Basenji lady - love the breed, but not my first choice in agility and to be quite frank if none of them ever complete a course what's the point?

Cadbury still wanders off at times (getting better though!) so right now there is no way I would take him to a comp. Why do that when you know the odds are you will fail?

If I attend a comp I want to feel that I have at least a 75-80% chance of completing the course without the dog running off.
 
Back
Top