Donut Exercises

Mine do a good working walk on the treadmill. I've heard that too much treadmill trotting can cause pacing, which is a gait we don't want in the show dogs.

Ah. Well, Koji is an agility dog, so we definitely don't want pacing, we want running.

Also, Checkers has never figured out how to trot on it, she just falls all over herself! :rolleyes2:

OMG. Too funny. No worries, Koji probably would too.
 
Mine do a good working walk on the treadmill. I've heard that too much treadmill trotting can cause pacing, which is a gait we don't want in the show dogs. Also, Checkers has never figured out how to trot on it, she just falls all over herself! :rolleyes2:

Diva trots on the treadmill. I just give her alittle tug like I would in the ring and she pops right into the trot at anything over 2.5 mph. I usually trot her at 3.3-3.5 mph for about 20-30 mins with a 5 mins warm up and 5 min cool down. I read somewhere that troting is better than actual running for conditioning and as long as you don't allow them to pace on the treadmill then they will not learn to pace. The speed I am using is very comfortable for Diva but Ember can't do it. Ember usually goes about 2.8-3.0mph. Porbably reflects Diva's speed when she runs, she has a longer stride.
 
I read somewhere that troting is better than actual running for conditioning and as long as you don't allow them to pace on the treadmill then they will not learn to pace.

Next time you, or anyone, puts your dog on the treadmill, could you video and show me what trotting is. Since I don't show dogs, I couldn't tell you the difference between pacing, trotting, etc. I just know walking and running. hehehe. Just curious.
 
Next time you, or anyone, puts your dog on the treadmill, could you video and show me what trotting is. Since I don't show dogs, I couldn't tell you the difference between pacing, trotting, etc. I just know walking and running. hehehe. Just curious.

Um I'll make an effort to get a video. I usually only use the treadmill during the winter. Other times of the year she get lots of running outside. Diva loves the tennis ball. :smile2:
 
Trotting is a 2 beat gait. When the front leg on one side and the rear leg on the opposite side work together by coming up, forward and down and then changing to the opposing side. So if we number the front legs - right is A & left is B and the rear legs - right is C and left is D then what you would see is
A & D move together and once they hit the ground then B and C move forward.
In a pace, the front and rear leg on the SAME side move together followed by the front and rear leg on the OPPOSITE side. You will often see dogs resort to pacing if they are going long distance as it is a comfortable gait to use for this purpose.
Hope you can visualize this from my description.
 
Question - does this work to strengthen the muscles for a dog who has hip dysplasia or would it be too stressful for them? I understand the goal is to strengthen and make the dogs more supple on this.
 
Um I'll make an effort to get a video. I usually only use the treadmill during the winter. Other times of the year she get lots of running outside. Diva loves the tennis ball. :smile2:

If you're outside, you could video a trot vs. pace. If she's doing it herself. Eh, whenever. I was just curious. I'll try and check YT later to see if I can find anything.
 
Trotting is a 2 beat gait. When the front leg on one side and the rear leg on the opposite side work together by coming up, forward and down and then changing to the opposing side. So if we number the front legs - right is A & left is B and the rear legs - right is C and left is D then what you would see is
A & D move together and once they hit the ground then B and C move forward.
In a pace, the front and rear leg on the SAME side move together followed by the front and rear leg on the OPPOSITE side. You will often see dogs resort to pacing if they are going long distance as it is a comfortable gait to use for this purpose.
Hope you can visualize this from my description.



I'll be honest. I lost you at the "2 beat gait". LOL. Yeah, I'd have to see it. LOL. Sorry. I'm sure someone else can understand though.
 
Question - does this work to strengthen the muscles for a dog who has hip dysplasia or would it be too stressful for them? I understand the goal is to strengthen and make the dogs more supple on this.

Y'know, I have no clue. Hopefully someone else will see this and can respond.

I do know Miko will be 14 yo soon. He seems to be okay on some days, but he's old and creeky. You can tell he has issues standing up sometimes and getting up the stairs. It's why I'm trying to strengthen his rear end. He's too smart though, when I put him on the donut, he puts all his weight on the front. :no: So I have to kinda push him back. I feel bad, but it'll be good for him.
 
Back
Top