Dry Nose??

copper5228

Forums Enthusiast
One of my Shelties has a chronic "dry nose". His nose is wet and cold as a general thing, but the top, where the seam meets the fur/skin, is always dry and small bits peel off form time to time. We thought it was a winter thing with it being so cold and dry in NY in the winter, but he has it now, too. We use a liquid vitamin E on it, which helps a lot, but was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this or has any suggestions?? He's been to the vet to have it looked at, and the vet is not concerned that there's a medical issue or anything serious. He is 100% healthy and happy and playful. :biggrin2:
 
My dog has the same thing. I am naive and thought all dogs nose were wet and cold. Mine is dry and never wet. He doesn't like it touched either. I had the vet look at him and they dont see a problem and thought it was from licking it so much. I watched him and really dont see it, he licks when he is done eating and drinking but I never see him just licking his nose. I was concerned but no one else was, but it is always in the back of my head to think this really seems off. I do know my dog sneezes a lot and seems to really rub his face on furniture and such after he goes out in the grass. He also avoids the grass sometimes and puts 3 paws on the bricks and one in the grass to go.
 
Sally has a really dry nose too. Lukewarm compresses on the nose regularly were rec. by our vet and I use a product called Surgeon's Cream on her nose too- we ALL use it on dry skin and sore or raw skin .The bee's wax is really healing and soothing, it also has mineral oil and lanolin in it. It helps but it does still come back.
 
F-kap's nose was like this every summer. I don't know why it was like this but, like Internette, my vet didn't think anything of it. Here is a pic of him last fall. His noes was healing at this time and most of the scales were gone. It hasn't shown up this year, so lets hope it's gone for good.:fl

PS Sorry I don't have a better picture.:o
 
Thanks! Tabs, yes, that looks like Pandi's nose...It doesn't bother him at all, he doesn't rub it or sneeze or anything...Well, it's at least nice to know he;s not alone! The vet really has o issue with it, and we even sent a small sample of nose that flaked off sent for analysis, being concerned w/ cancer and whatnot, and no bacteria or anything was found. Jsut wondered if anyone had any thoughts or something to try. Thanks a bunch!!!
 
Lexi has this problem. My vet prescribed Animax ointment. It works well, when I can remember to use it. Here's the long name: nyststin-neomycin sulfate-thiostrepton-triamcinolone acetonide ointment.....whew!
 
Tinsel is also part of the dry, ridgey, nose club. It has improved considerably since he has been here due to diet and thryroxine. Hypothyroid dogs tend not to slough skin well so it certainly contributed.
I don't worry about it too much. It's a bit unsightly but won't harm him as much as putting drugs in and on him could. Vitamin E will help I'm told however Tin isn't a fan of me rubbing stuff on his nose.
 
Will check it out....I do prefer natural stuff when possible....and Pandi is pretty good about letting us put vitamin E on at night. Although, he licks about 1/2 of it off. ;)
 
I don't know if this is related to this problem or if it has anything to do with it, but I just realized today that F-kap has not had any scaling on his nose since I started giving him coconut oil. I put the oil in their food and when they eat it they usually lick their lips and nose. So maybe putting some on Pandi's nose or in his food? I'm not sure if it would work, but it's worth a try. Coconut oil is also VERY healthy for dogs.:yes:
 
Back
Top