Sonoma girl
Forums Regular
Ok, I have glue, tape, gum and - glycerin on order. Wish me luck. Or better my poor puppy.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
What is "started fluid?" I can't find anything with that description.You want to use the Japanese ear tape (also called Sheltie ear tape) it's not a double sided tape. I just cut about a 2-3" piece of tape (depending on the size of ears) and make a roll with it. I then place it just above where the cartilage starts and fold the ear tip down onto it where you want it to break. I believe it can be ordered from Wickets by Mel but may be available at other places if your in the United States
I don't use glue with the tape, although I do spray it with started fluid to increase the stickiness...some people have success with just the tape. Whatever works best for you but Sheltie ear tape is the best.
yes to this. local breeder recommended wiping the ears out with isopropyl alcohol and letting them dry and not touching them on the inside as the oil on your fingers can cause the tape to stick less......My other recommendation when using tape is to make sure the ear is really clean. Ears can get greasy and waxy easily and that leads to tape falling out quickly.
Starter fluid is an automotive product (a spray), it's available at any automotive store. I spray it on the Japanese tape, makes it extra sticky.What is "started fluid?" I can't find anything with that description.
I think I, too, am hopeless at this ear taping thing. I can't get the tape to stick where I want the ear to break and end up with what seems to work as weights of the ears. Sometimes this is OK but often it ends up with weighting the ears BACKWARDS! Would glue be a better option?You want to use the Japanese ear tape (also called Sheltie ear tape) it's not a double sided tape. I just cut about a 2-3" piece of tape (depending on the size of ears) and make a roll with it. I then place it just above where the cartilage starts and fold the ear tip down onto it where you want it to break. I believe it can be ordered from Wickets by Mel but may be available at other places if your in the United States
I don't use glue with the tape, although I do spray it with started fluid to increase the stickiness...some people have success with just the tape. Whatever works best for you but Sheltie ear tape is the best.
I think I, too, am hopeless at this ear taping thing. I can't get the tape to stick where I want the ear to break and end up with what seems to work as weights of the ears. Sometimes this is OK but often it ends up with weighting the ears BACKWARDS! Would glue be a better option?
I, too, was hopeless with tape. Glue was much easier for me and for Luna. I used eyelash glue thinking that if it was gentle enough to put near a human eye, it would be gentle enough for a puppy's ears. It seems to be working very well and was much faster and easier on her and me than the tape thing. In the youtube videos I watched on taping those puppies stood absolutely still and allowed the process to take place quietly and easily. In my house, my pogo-stick puppy was leaping around, ducking, shaking her head and anything but cooperative. With glueing it was, "here's something yummy to lick while I take mere seconds to touch your ears." Both she and I are happy about that.Did try. Tape falls off.
We are hopeless, I fear.lol