Ear tipping questions

If you can stand doing it till 10-12 months and if you really want tipped ears, then that's how long I would do it.

I had to give up on Bacca's ears because I made such a mess - couldn't get the glue out, didn't have bandage adhesive remover (that's really what you want, btw) and I had to cut the glue out....then no more fur to glue together!

As it turns out, in Bacca's case his hears needed to be braced as well. He's hound dog.....
 
Puppies differ on how tolerate they are with having their ears messed with. Some don't mind a bit and others really don't like it. You will need to teach them to like have their ears touched just like you would do with teaching them to like having their feet touched.

With the tear mendor, you should remove it with a product like unisolve or zo-eze. It will loosen it up quickly and you can comb it out with a flea comb. If you don't have that, I have found a bit of warn water and small dab of dish soap softens it up nicely. You will need to let the ear dry before resetting. Don't use alot of water or soap though and don't get it in the ear.

Don't cut it out or soon you will have nothing to reglue.

Any idea where I can find Unisolve or Zo-eze in Canada?
 
Maybe Barb can help you out with that one, she will probably know. I thought I heard her mention one time about a pharmacy carrying it.

Thank you. That's what I needed. I've been looking for the thing in the wrong place! I've searched about 4-5 hardware store for adhesive remover but came up with nothing. When you mentioned pharmacy I was like duh... So I went out and got something to remove bandage adhesive for sensitive skin. Will be trying it out on Mozart tonight. Thank you for the tip! :smile2:
 
Reglued but puppy hates the solvent....

I've reglued Mozart's ears. He hated the smell of the adhesive remover. The one recommended by the pharmacist over here is called Solvo-Plast II. It has a nail polish remover smell to it. Mozart has been shaking his head the whole evening and constantly ringing the bell to go out to rub his head on the lawn. Any suggestions to removing the smell? Does Unisolve or Zo-eze have that smell too?
 
I've reglued Mozart's ears. He hated the smell of the adhesive remover. The one recommended by the pharmacist over here is called Solvo-Plast II. It has a nail polish remover smell to it. Mozart has been shaking his head the whole evening and constantly ringing the bell to go out to rub his head on the lawn. Any suggestions to removing the smell? Does Unisolve or Zo-eze have that smell too?

From what I remember, Zo-eze doesn't have a smell.
 
Maybe Barb can help you out with that one, she will probably know. I thought I heard her mention one time about a pharmacy carrying it.

I hunted high and low finding adhesive remover here in Ottawa. I went to Pharmacies, medical supply stores and everything I found was not acceptable.

I never found Unisolve or Zo-eze. But I was really looking for Detachol anyway.... This was what was recommended in Sheltie Talk (I think)

I finally found it on eBay

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...l1313&_nkw=detachol&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Don't buy more than 4 oz. You won't need more than that.

Hope this helps!

Barb
 
I hunted high and low finding adhesive remover here in Ottawa. I went to Pharmacies, medical supply stores and everything I found was not acceptable.

I never found Unisolve or Zo-eze. But I was really looking for Detachol anyway.... This was what was recommended in Sheltie Talk (I think)

I finally found it on eBay

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...l1313&_nkw=detachol&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Don't buy more than 4 oz. You won't need more than that.

Hope this helps!

Barb

Thank you so much for the info :smile2: One other question, does it have any smell? Last time I used the Solvo-Plast it smelled like nail polish remover and Mozart hated it. He rang the bell numerous times to go out and rub his ears on the grass!
 
The Detachol worked best for me. Bacca did not seem to react to any smell and was not skin irritated either. If you can find it, then that would be my choice.
 
Back
Top