Ethoxyquin

Heck! Guys!

There is always going to be something. Just go with your gut, stick with it, and monitor progress!

btw - I highly recommend yearly blood testing of your pups, even if your vet does not. Include Lyme. Something to consider

Without the bloodtesting, we would never have known that Bacca had issues.
 
Heck! Guys!

There is always going to be something. Just go with your gut, stick with it, and monitor progress!

btw - I highly recommend yearly blood testing of your pups, even if your vet does not. Include Lyme. Something to consider

Without the bloodtesting, we would never have known that Bacca had issues.


THis is something that pisses me off about myself.. I NEVER got blood work done on my departed Angel ...... I just never knew that was something to do!!!! And my vet never brought it up either (not my vet anymore). But maybe I could have made a difference in her life with annual / semi annual blood work .. My vet only did blood work when there was a problem and by then it was too late.
I took Angel in for a routine wellness exam and because she was eating less and my vet comes out and says she has a week left but should be put to sleep ASAP. I was and still am in Shock. This happened in OCT.
So yeah I partly blame myself and will live with that for the rest of my life .. and I know you nice people here are gonna say nice things and I did my best . and i appreciate it but it wont change my mind.
 
btw - I highly recommend yearly blood testing of your pups, even if your vet does not. Include Lyme. Something to consider

To open up a whole new can of worms,(npi), and I know this should be a health thread, but since you mentioned it.... if you do do an annual test for Lyme in a healthy dog, and it comes up positive, what does that mean and what do you do about it?
Very common situation, I'm curious as to how people deal with it. - Dr. Mac
 
To open up a whole new can of worms,(npi), and I know this should be a health thread, but since you mentioned it.... if you do do an annual test for Lyme in a healthy dog, and it comes up positive, what does that mean and what do you do about it?
Very common situation, I'm curious as to how people deal with it. - Dr. Mac


Good question. I would love to see the answers to this one! I had this happen to me many times with my Cedar.

We treated with Doxycycline ONLY when Cedar showed signs of lameness or depression from Lyme. It had me always on edge...because, and here we come back to those kidneys....even though the dog seems to be doing fine and the Lyme's seems to be dormant, the Lyme's disease can still damage the kidneys. BUT....the doxycycline can also damage the kidneys.

I am really curious to see how these questions are answered, because I really don't think there is a right answer to this one.

I DO know that Lyme's disease SUCKS and probably led to me losing my beloved Setter prematurely at 12 :sadsmile:
 
Well, not to be an idiot, but if your Lyme results came back positive, wouldn't you treat it?

I'm obviously missing something here?:confused2:
 
Well, not to be an idiot, but if your Lyme results came back positive, wouldn't you treat it?

I'm obviously missing something here?:confused2:

Yup! Totally miss a lot :wink2: All of us in the CT, RI, NJ and PA have to deal with Lyme's disease on a daily basis. And...our dogs would always be on an antibiotic if we only treated based on a Lyme test. It is very complex.

That is why we started a new thread under health to discuss this exact thing.

Check it out!
 
Back
Top