Ethoxyquin

I don't think they should put etho in any dog foods, but why single TOTW out? They're not the only dog food with this in it, I'm sure. :eek2:
 
Email received plus 3 phone calls from veterinarian

Below is the actualu email,plus this young lady has called me 3x today.Unfortunately,I had put my cell on a charge,and was out in the workshop,so I did not talk to her,but I have every intention on calling.

Hopefully this will clear up the issues regarding ETHO that we're all wondering about with the Pacific Stream formula of TOTW.

SheltieGuy,I am also giving you her phone #,since she is interested in talking personally with you,since you have said that no one has verbally contacted you or responded to your inquiries.As a matter of fact,she sounded quite puzzled that no one in fact had contacted you to answer your questions personally.
Her name is Melissa Brookshire DVM
Phone:770-778-5788

Here is her email:

Dear Michele,

I am inclined to question numerous reports of unanswered emails and phone calls. I personally respond to every email that comes to the vet info email address. There are 12 customer service representatives that answer the phone from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday (central time). I’m not sure why your forum is reporting so many non-responses.

Below is an expanded reply to your questions about Taste of the Wild and fish meal. Please read through this and I will give you a call in just a bit. You included your number in your email.

Thank you for your inquiry. There is not any ethoxyquin added to the Taste of the Wild pet foods.

Fish meal is preserved with ethoxyquin on the ships prior to entering port. Ethoxyquin is most effective at preventing rancidity in the highly volatile fish meal. Rancidity in ingredients can lead to severe illness. Fish meal is used in pet food formulas as an excellent quality source of amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3’s are vital for a strong immune system, healthy skin and coat, controlling inflammation and even preventing certain types of cancer.

Most of the ethoxyquin is destroyed in the cooking process, requiring other preservatives to be used. Tests for ethoxyquin are run routinely on Taste of the Wild. The results are typically less than 5ppm. This is equivalent to 0.0005% or 5 ten-thousandth’s of a percent. This is a true trace level that many laboratories are unable to detect. The amount allowed, and considered to be safe, by the FDA is 75ppm.

There are many brands that are claiming to be free of ethoxyquin, or to contain fish meal that is free of ethoxyquin. One brand that claims not to use fish meal contained with ethoxyquin (Orijen http://www.championpetfoods.com/faq/) has a spec listed in their FAQ section of 5ppm ethoxyquin, the same level as is present in Taste of the Wild.

There is a small supply of ethoxyquin free fish meal available in the United States. However, this is not adequate to meet the supply demands for all pet food manufacturers that use fish meal. Also, the peroxide levels are much higher than we feel comfortable with. Peroxide is an indicator of oxidation. Peroxide can cause vomiting and may even cause damage to vital organs. Ethoxyquin is being used in scientific research as a cancer fighting antioxidant. When present in controlled amounts, it has never been shown to cause harmful effects.

Sincerely,
--
Melissa Brookshire, DVM
 
You're right there Smudge. Many of the others do as well. So not only 1 food is being singled out as a great evil, why don't I list some of the others:
Artemis
Breeders-Choice/AvoDerm
Canidae/Felidae
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Diamond
Doctors Foster & Smith
Natural Balance
Premium Edge
Merrick
Evangers
Solid Gold
Purina Pro Plan

I'm sure there are more, but here's a substantial list

I'll also note the trace amount found in TOTW is the same trace amount in Orijen.

Personally, I'll be sticking with my TOTW. My dogs have been on it for several years now, and I am very happy with the results I've gotten using the food. The protein level is appropriate for my performance dogs, it is grain free, and a high quality food that meets my dogs needs. I'm not going to nit pick over such a tiny amount of ethoxyquin.
 
Last edited:
You're right there Smudge. Many of the others do as well. So not only 1 food is being singled out as a great evil, why don't I list some of the others:
Artemis
Breeders-Choice/AvoDerm
Canidae/Felidae
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Diamond
Doctors Foster & Smith
Natural Balance
Premium Edge
Evangers
Solid Gold

Those aren't all, but some of the other ones aren't grain free. Eukanuba and Blue Buffalo use it also. I'm sure there's more, but I'm too lazy to go look.

If you don't like what's in it - don't feed it. :wink2:
 
You're right there Smudge. Many of the others do as well. So not only 1 food is being singled out as a great evil, why don't I list some of the others:
Artemis
Breeders-Choice/AvoDerm
Canidae/Felidae
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
Diamond
Doctors Foster & Smith
Natural Balance
Premium Edge
Merrick
Evangers
Solid Gold

Thank you Stacey for bringing that up.I had my list here,and that was my next post,but you & Jess got there before me.

The list is actually longer,but I think everyone will get the jist of what we're trying to say.

I did actually have just a minute ago,a conversation with Melissa.She assures me that the use of ETHO is at the minimum ppm,and that Pacific Stream is safe for our pets.It is tested regularly.

To be honest,your head can swim with this and that over dog foods additives,we all know that.I am satisfied with what I feed here,and am making no changes.
I'm not messing with switching.Plus these 2 (soon to be 3) all love TOTW.

Hopefully SheltieGuy feels some better about TOTW after he reads & hopefully talks with Melissa.
 
Below is the actualu email,plus this young lady has called me 3x today.Unfortunately,I had put my cell on a charge,and was out in the workshop,so I did not talk to her,but I have every intention on calling.

Hopefully this will clear up the issues regarding ETHO that we're all wondering about with the Pacific Stream formula of TOTW.

SheltieGuy,I am also giving you her phone #,since she is interested in talking personally with you,since you have said that no one has verbally contacted you or responded to your inquiries.As a matter of fact,she sounded quite puzzled that no one in fact had contacted you to answer your questions personally.
Her name is Melissa Brookshire DVM
Phone:770-778-5788

Here is her email:

Dear Michele,

I am inclined to question numerous reports of unanswered emails and phone calls. I personally respond to every email that comes to the vet info email address. There are 12 customer service representatives that answer the phone from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday (central time). I’m not sure why your forum is reporting so many non-responses.

Below is an expanded reply to your questions about Taste of the Wild and fish meal. Please read through this and I will give you a call in just a bit. You included your number in your email.

Thank you for your inquiry. There is not any ethoxyquin added to the Taste of the Wild pet foods.

Fish meal is preserved with ethoxyquin on the ships prior to entering port. Ethoxyquin is most effective at preventing rancidity in the highly volatile fish meal. Rancidity in ingredients can lead to severe illness. Fish meal is used in pet food formulas as an excellent quality source of amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3’s are vital for a strong immune system, healthy skin and coat, controlling inflammation and even preventing certain types of cancer.

Most of the ethoxyquin is destroyed in the cooking process, requiring other preservatives to be used. Tests for ethoxyquin are run routinely on Taste of the Wild. The results are typically less than 5ppm. This is equivalent to 0.0005% or 5 ten-thousandth’s of a percent. This is a true trace level that many laboratories are unable to detect. The amount allowed, and considered to be safe, by the FDA is 75ppm.

There are many brands that are claiming to be free of ethoxyquin, or to contain fish meal that is free of ethoxyquin. One brand that claims not to use fish meal contained with ethoxyquin (Orijen http://www.championpetfoods.com/faq/) has a spec listed in their FAQ section of 5ppm ethoxyquin, the same level as is present in Taste of the Wild.

There is a small supply of ethoxyquin free fish meal available in the United States. However, this is not adequate to meet the supply demands for all pet food manufacturers that use fish meal. Also, the peroxide levels are much higher than we feel comfortable with. Peroxide is an indicator of oxidation. Peroxide can cause vomiting and may even cause damage to vital organs. Ethoxyquin is being used in scientific research as a cancer fighting antioxidant. When present in controlled amounts, it has never been shown to cause harmful effects.

Sincerely,
--
Melissa Brookshire, DVM

first of all thank you for her phone number

As for the email : I understand and knew that their suppliers used Etho and that TOTW did not ADD anymore. Cooking most of it out well that remains to be seen. I guess some of you are thinking hmmm,0.0005% is nothing and I am worrying about nothing. Well maybe ...maybe not .... I cant answer that.. I wish I could. But I am thinking... as in most of my posts LONG TERM. I would be giving my dog ETHO (small amounts of poison) every single day for the rest of his life.
The answer to Etho free fish is: get ready: this is a shocker: FRESH FISH!!!! VERY SIMPLE!!!!!! USE FRESH FISH!!. (sorry If i seem to be angry) Im not ,, im just cranky when i wake up. lol
I dont want to give my dog poison whether it be .00000000000000005 or 25%.
But I surely appreciate all the calling and work you did to get this info .. and I am not (well wasnt trying to single out TOTW) I thought I posted here but it may have beeen on yahoo that there are a lot of food companies claiming to be Etho freee.. Orijen being one of them . Orijen and TOTW have the same amounts...SO if you are ok with a lil ETHO and currently buy Orijen .. you may wanna think about TOTW i bet its 40 dollars cheaper.


Answers from FROMM about ETHO:
Does your food contain ethoxyquin?
No, Fromm Family Foods recipes do not contain ethoxyquin. All of our ingredients and final products are free from artificial and industrial preservatives. Additionally we pay more for our fish, whitefish, and salmon to not be treated or preserved with ethoxyquin. (Im pretty sure that FROMM is a small Family owned company..but dont quote me on that) and is 100% etho free. So IM sure a HUGE CORP like Diamond has the means to do so as well.

YES,,some FROMM foods have grains in them ..I dont claim to know much about grains but I know they arent poison.. and if you believe what FROMM says on their site it is of the highest quality.

MORE from FROMM:
Yes, all of our dog and cat foods are considered holistic. This includes our Fromm Family Classics, Gold Nutritionals®, and Four-Star Nutritionals® product lines. Holistic dog foods are typically all-natural dog foods that contain no fillers utilizing only ingredients which serve a specific nutritional purpose. A lot of holistic dog foods omit common allergens like wheat and corn. All of our balanced diets (canned & dry) fit this definition in its entirety.
I guess I was upset that all these companies were.are being shady!!!! saying we dont use Etho (which isnt a lie....but no the whole truth) when all their suppliers do.
Once again I thank you VERY much for doing all this for me/us .. I more than appreciate it. I honestly due .. YOU ROCK!!!
I singled out TOTW because that is what I use
I am singling out FROMM because that is what I am going to use.
And FROMM does have a grain free surf n turf food.. ETHO FREE if anyone is interested.

I am Personally fearful of what may happen to my dog when he is hopefully 14-18 years of age and what all the years upon years upon years of feeding him poison did to him SLOWLY...
The weakest part of a dog is the kidney. (this is fact. well as told by my last 2 vets) as opposed to a human which is the heart. Weakest meaning most susceptible to problems. SO the dogs start off from birth with a disadvantage.... I wont add to it. Not when there are etho free choices out there.

Now please keep in mind :
1. I am not all knowing ,, im just a proud poppa
2. I am not a vet or have any medical training
3. I am just like the rest of you (excluding our beloved vets) and most of you may know more than me.
4. I know no food is perfect.

I am just a man on a mission lol

Honestly tho... ..00005 % may truly be nothing to worry about (i dont know). I am not willing to take that chance.

a side note: (maybe a reason why i dont trust people/companies)
Some of you may know of a drug called Rezulin;;it was to be the miracale drug for diabetes!! My grandfather took it and it killed him !! It was recalled eventually but too late for my grandfather) this story doesnt directly relate to Etho , i am kinda giving you a background on my way of thinking.
ETHO is poison in any amount,,,, so i dont want to give it to my SON (i have no wife..no parents or grandparents .just one brother) and my SON/pup Snickers.
SO maybe just answer that simple question.... Would you give it to your son..daughter...wife...husband ...etc.. when there are products just as good that do not contain it ??

END OF MY RANT :biggrin2: ( i will try to chill out on the protein/etho rants from now on .. after all this is also a great fun place to be..i love it here and i dont wanna bring people down all the time) I can be fun tooo :biggrin2:
 
Just as I am unwilling to feed my dogs grain. Some of mine HAVE had issues on grains, and I feel it isn't worth putting that into their systems when I don't need to. I'll take my chances with a trace amount of ethoxyquin over something that has created past health issues in some of mine.
In my eyes, a grain containing product is no better.
 
Just as I am unwilling to feed my dogs grain. Some of mine HAVE had issues on grains, and I feel it isn't worth putting that into their systems when I don't need to. I'll take my chances with a trace amount of ethoxyquin over something that has created past health issues in some of mine.
In my eyes, a grain containing product is no better.

I agree 100% if your dogs have grain issues .. you shouldnt give them grain..
.

(as I have tried to express before... I am not trying to sway anyone one way or the other). I dont have the answers..
we will all do what we think is right for our dogs. GOOD LUCK AND MAY GOD BLESS US ALL TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES!!

I choose good quality food with some grain over toxic poison. (but this is just me and my opinion) I am not here to judge anyone else. AS the BIBLE states "Don't judge, so that you won't be judged."
 
Last edited:
Back
Top